What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GNS430 vs GNS480

Drippy

Well Known Member
I would love to hear people's opinions about the pluses and minuses between the Garmin GNS430 and Garmin GNS480. I am planning to use a GNS like these to support the Dynon system in my RV10.

Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Mike

Well, the main comment is that these boxes are getting a little old. One wonders how long Garmin will support them with databases and, if needed, service. Since they are no longer made, you wonder how "hard" a life the used box has lived.
For IFR the LPV approaches are generally superior to the LNAV; for that you'll need the newer 430W box instead of the 430. Have you thought about ADSB-out? The 430W and 480 can (with newest software) serve as a position source if your transponder or UAT can read Garmin's "ADSB+" format.
If I had to choose between a 430 (non W) and 480 I like the "look and feel", as well as the WAAS, of the 480 better than the 430. I just worry about its age and future repair options.

I don't know about the 480, but it's Jeppessen that provides databases for the 430(W). They will continue providing databases as long as people are buying them. As long as they are still out there, people will be buying databases. There are TONS of these out there.

480 way better than 430

I just sold my 480, but only because I'm doing a full panel upgrade and I figured this was the time to bite the bullet on a GTN.

The logic of the 480 is a bit different than the 430/530 but once you get the hang of it, it makes a lot of sense. I liked the 480 because the screen was larger then the 430. Also, with the 480 the "soft keys" get you out of having to deal with all the 430 sub-menu's.

When I purchased the 480, I compared it to the 530. I never seriously considered a 430.

I think the 480 will be supported for quite a while. My understanding is that the US Government has quite a few in service. Also, check out the GNS 480 yahoo group. There is a lot of good info there.

I would recommend the 430W. Dont buy a non waas because you loose out on lower minimum GPS approaches. It a good nav/comm/gps unit. You got it all in one box.

I got a chance to get rid of my 430 and buy a GTN 750. Best thing I ever did for the plane.
However the best deal for the money is a GTN 650. Very easy to use. I found the 430 to be a PITA to learn and use. Gonna spend that much money then get a 650 unless you can score a really, really good deal on a 430 (like the one I sold).

480 is WAAS

The 480 is superior in every way to the 430. All 480's are WAAS. It is the reason Garmin bought the company (was originally the CNX 80) as they wanted the ability to make the 430/530 WAAS and the 480 was already done. The 480 is a more FMS (flight management system) type of interface. It has always been able to input flight plans using Jet and Victor routes, T, Q etc without having to input each point. The unit will switch between VOR/LOC/ILS mode and GPS automatically such that your plane can transition from enroute navigation, fly a procedure turn, approach, missed approach and hold all the while turning at the correct altitudes completely on autopilot if you choose. The GTN series may now do this but the 480 always has. The 480 will also allow you to monitor the frequency in standby if you choose. The screen has dramatically better resolution and more colors than the 430/530. There are actually four different map screens you can toggle through and you can completely customize 2-4. Contact me if I can be of help. I have owned both.

The 625 is only a GPS (a 650 without the NAV/COM radios) so a bit of a apple to oranges comparison to a 430 and a 480 which are full up boxes.

Sky Sailor,

Thank you for a very enthusiastic response. I called Dynon and they told me it was compatible with their system so all is good I called the seller and agreed to purchase his unit. Only challenge now is how to exchange money for the unit:).

Thank you

There were some gotchas on the 480/Dynon interface. Email or PM me for my complete wiring matrix for Dynon D-180 / GNS 480 / GPSMap 496 / TruTrak Digiflight II GSVG, may save you some time.

That said, the biggest differences between the two are:
- 480 is less popular, runs about $1,000 less than a 430W but has even bigger difference in resale (people don't understand the 480, so will offer less for your plane).
- 480 has IFR airways; you can enter your flight plan exactly as ATC gives it to you (e.g. "fly direct Alpha take V-1 to Bravo, V-2 to Charlie, Direct ..." etc.). It automagically fills in all of the points in between, which has gotten me yelled at with a 430 when I missed a point that made a dog-leg. Pretty unimportant away from the heavy traffic East or West coast busy areas; a life saver if you fly up near New England. If you only fly VFR direct, skip it.
- 480 will, with the right autopilot, fly the entire approach coupled to glidepath and then at the push of the button fly the missed approach and then put you in holding. Try that with a 430/530...

Good luck!

- 480 will, with the right autopilot, fly the entire approach coupled to glidepath and then at the push of the button fly the missed approach and then put you in holding. Try that with a 430/530...

Good luck!

Actually, the 430W/530W does this quit nicely coupled with my tru-trak...

Skylor

Actually, the 430W/530W does this quit nicely coupled with my tru-trak...

Skylor

A clarification to this feature is that actually no button pushing is required on the GNS480 to sequence into the missed approach. It happens automagically if you do not land.

A clarification to this feature is that actually no button pushing is required on the GNS480 to sequence into the missed approach. It happens automagically if you do not land.

That's interesting. I thought I read somewhere in the 430W manual that manually pushing a button to transition to the missed approach mode was a TSO requirement (??)

That's interesting. I thought I read somewhere in the 430W manual that manually pushing a button to transition to the missed approach mode was a TSO requirement (??)

I was kind of wondering the same thing. If you're flying coupled with the autopilot and no button-push is required to fly the missed, how do you initiate the missed (i.e., how does it know that you need to go missed instead of land?). The 430W only requires pressing a single button (OBS) to sequence to the missed approach.

Skylor

Nice 480 feature

One other feature is a 480 when used with an SL30 will work together to always feed the next ATC freq into the Standby window of the SL30 Comm. All you have to do is reach up and activate the next Freq. This radio was so innovative. I miss Apollo.

Back