What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Skin - Bad Day

RV701775

I had a bad day today while priming my right elevator. After prep, I hung the right elevator up to dry and it fell off the hook about a foot onto the grass. It landed long side down and flexed a bit, but luckily I was working over my lawn. I did not see any bends or damage, but it did flex quite a bit. Any thoughts as to whether there could be hidden damage?

Also, after priming I noticed a dent in the skin. I think I may have tipped my cordless drill over and didn't notice. Any thoughts about how to fix this or if it could lead to a crack down the road?

I am going to take a break and get back to it in a day or two.

Thanks

open

Last edited:
I can't tell for sure what to look at. Is it the place under the black tape? It looks like it is just the skin without the ribs so I dont see how flexing could be an issue.

Thanks. It is not black tape. Just the lighting where I cut the blue coating back. There is a small dimple in the center that I believe was caused by a dropped tool. I was planning on leaving it for the painter down the road. I don't think it is punctured.

Thanks.

You could probably flatten that little dimple out with no issue it'd likely never show.

I wouldn't worry about the drop/flex and if you are like probably everyone else on here - you'll have at least a few more "oh $h** moments when you mess something up. Some of us, more than a few.

Don't let it get you down- keep pounding rivets.

You may be able to fix this:

* Get some thick clear packing tape
* Apply packing tape in a single layer generously over dent
* Get a large spoon from the kitchen
* Put something like a bucking bar on the opposite side (to support against the pressure you're about to put on the skin)
* Massage dent using the spoon
* Watch magically as it starts to go away .. hopefully :D

I fixed a pretty bad one using this method.

Important! Be sure not to "massage" beyond your supporting "bucking bar" (or whatever you use) as doing so may create an impression.

Last edited:
And....

The spoon trick works, but you’ll probably be left with a little center dimple that probably has a bit of a crack on the point side under magnification. Drill it for #40 or #30, dimple, and lightly set a rivet to nowhere. I think I have three or four of those, at two from the corner of a dropped tungsten bucking bar, and another from a dimpling tool error that I clearly remember.

Last edited:
I have a similar dimple in my fuselage tail cone. I have no idea how it got there, but at some point during construction I must have accidentally banged something into the skin. I try to be as careful as possible while building, so at first it really bugged me. But now that a bit of time has passed, I'm not too worried about it. Considering the size of the finished plane, one tiny dimple doesn't seem like much of an imperfection. Build on!

Back