What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Io-320

I desire to install a fuel injected Ly 320.
My question is: are they readly available or does one have to build it? What would be the problem with this engine if any? Why do you think they are not used often?
The reason I want to use a IO-320 is to eliminate the round hole in the front of the cowling and carb ice.
Thanks
Dave

The forward facing horizonatl sump will get rid of the snorkel on the cowling. It can be installed on either a 320 or 360. The price for that sump new is around 2200.00 including the intake pipes and gaskets you will also need.
As stated the cost to change over to FI is expensive and will end up being around 3500.00 give or take a couple of hundred dollars, including the Airframe boost pump. If you click on the TMX Experimental engine ad to the left, and follow the Fuel Injection Conversion Kit link, you will get a feel for the pricing of a complete Precision/Bendix fuel injection change over kit. Airflow Performance runs about the same.
Good luck,
Mahlon

Let me understand:
In order to rid of the snorkel on the cowling I need a forward facing sump-using the carb?

If I go with FI I need the horizional injection system?
AM I following correctly?

I followed the TMX link and they have system for 2949. (Special) :)

Thanks for your help, I am trying to decide which is the way I wish. It is like being in a candy shop. Far too many choices.
Dave

Dave,
To get rid of the snorkel you need the forward facing horizontal sump AND fuel injection. There is no Precision carb available to mount horizontally to that horizontal forward facing sump. So to get rid of the snorkel you need both the forward facing horizontal sump and Fuel injection. There may be some other self engineered ways to accomplish what you want to do, but as far as I know the only way to do it using stock stuff from Vans, is this way.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Dave,
You may want to contact Bart Lalond up at Aerosport Power.
http://www.aerosportpower.com/

They can build one for you and customize it to your needs as well as provide information on upgrades (Electronic ignition, F/I, High Compression, etc). They have built many engines for RV's and do a great job.

Joe Blank
RV-6
IO-320-D1A
N6810B

Back