What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Snorkle, Oil Cooler and Alternator Installations

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
This past winter my buddy, Mike, and I did a big upgrade on my RV-8. Mike had helped me install the 10? SkyView system back about 2011, and everything worked great first time. We also added an access panel in the rear bulkhead of the front baggage compartment. If you are building an -8, I strongly suggest you add that during construction but it was not too bad adding it after. I bought the kit from Troy Grover at Grov-air and it worked well. [email protected] 317-919-6594.

Back to 2014/15. I?d bought the RV already flying and the baffles were not particularly well done. In Texas if you want to fly in the summer you need good, tight baffles to keep CHTs reasonable and a good oil cooler. While the baffle mounted oil cooler on my RV worked well (AeroClassics 8000081) I wanted to have excess cooling capacity.

Here is the complete list of upgrades:

1) Vans baffle kit.
2) FAB snorkel for horizontal induction
3) Superior cold air sump. Beautiful product with all the parts and it fit up perfectly.
4) Fumoto T202NS Nipple Type Drain Valve NPT1/2-14. I like this unit!
5) Dynon Mode-S transponder with antenna from DeltaPop aviation
6) Dynon ADS-B receiver with antenna from DeltaPop aviation
7) DeltaPop Aviation Comm antenna ? I can now get ATIS from Fort Worth Alliance Airport while on the ground at Hicks Airfield.
8) AirFlow Systems 2006X oil cooler on the motor mount with a 4? duct and slide valve.
9) Reinforced the rear edge of the rear baggage floor
10) Installed new Lester #14684 alternator purchased on eBay and a Dayco 15350 belt.

Snorkle ? just one comment on this ? I had two mental breakthroughs (not breakdowns, but almost.) The first is when I said scr*w it, I?ll just cut it in two. Once in two pieces we mounted the air filter half, mounted the rest on the servo and then just sliced and diced until the two joined up. The second is when I bought some brass strips at the hobby shop and some Bondo from the auto parts place to get all the pieces aligned and locked into the right geometry. Once I cut enough slits into the fab I would cut some 3? or so lengths of brass, bend the brass at the right angle to hold things together and then just Bondo them in place. Bondo sets up fast so you can sit and hold it in place pretty easily. In most cases I?d Bondo the strip to one side of the cut and then after that set up, I?d Bondo the other side while holding everything in place. Most times I could use safety wire and sticks and things to hold everything in position while the Bondo set up. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the brass strips and Bondo but here are pictures of the slits I made in the sump and the finished product.

IMG_1093-S.jpg

Once the strips and Bondo were in place I removed the snorkel from the plane, fiberglassed the inside of the snorkel. Once that was cured I removed the brass and Bondo, cleaned up the outside, and fiberglassed the outside.
Like everyone else I had to make some pretty big cuts along the top of the snorkel to make room for the starter and alternator. I use a B and C starter and they take up a little more room than the others on the market but I think they are so well made they are worth it. The finished snorkel came out pretty good.

20150228_112814-S.jpg

20150307_145108-S.jpg

Oil Cooler A couple of years ago someone posted on this forum how they used a Grizzly Industrial slide door to control flow to the oil cooler. I liked his idea and bought a W1142 - 4" Aluminum Blast Gate. http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Aluminum-Blast-Gate/W1142 It cost about $20 with shipping, and we used a CT A-740 RED cable from Vans to move the slide up and down from the cockpit. That is the same cable except red instead of black that Vans supplies for the alternate air door on the snorkel.

Grizzly%20w1142-S.jpg

2015-01-17%2015.45.52-S.jpg

The oil cooler is an AirFlow Systems 2006X oil cooler mounted on the motor mount behind the left side of the engine. I originally wanted to mount it to the firewall on the right side because I have some space there, but the oil dip stick tube is right in the way. There is also a heat muff and scat tubing from the baffles to the muff that would have to be relocated. We finally decided to go to the left side. AirFlow Systems also provided a fiberglass 90 degree duct that mates to 4? scat hose. The one I selected was for the next size larger cooler, so I had to modify it a bit but it was not very hard. Bill Genevro, Managing Director at Airflow Systems (949-218-9701) was a lot of help on this project. I think he may be developing a duct with a butterfly valve in it. I hope he does because it would simplify this project a bit. It really wasn?t hard to do once we figured out what we wanted to do. http://www.airflow-systems.com/oil-cooler-air-plenums/

20150221_113245-M.jpg

DSC_0196-M.jpg

20150221_114850-M.jpg

Alternator The original alternator was still on the plane after almost 900 flight hours with no problems except the mounting lug was getting worn out and I was afraid it would crack. The new one has a better lug system, which necessitated modifying the mounting bracket but it all worked out fine. I did not even have a blast tube cooling the regulator. I may add one soon. The other thing I learned concerns the belt that is used to drive the alternator. My alternator pully had worn a slot into the inside surface of my lower cowl. The belts are available in various lengths (of course) but it is easy to order one just a little shorter! It took a little trial and error but we found one that moved the alternator up just a little so the alternator is not rubbing on the cowl. I had been using a Dayco 15355 belt and now use a 15350 which has a ?? shorter effective length.

The old alternator with one mounting lug is on the left and the new one with two lugs is on the right. Much better.

old%20and%20new%20alternators%202015%201225-M.jpg

Outcome I?ve flown the plane about 20 hours since the upgrades and everything is working great. Yesterday was the first day in the 90?s we?ve had so it was a good day to see if the baffles and oil cooler are up to the task. I am happy to say they are. I did not do a prolonged climb because I was wanting to look at some of the flooding, but I pushed it hard and CHTs stayed below 390F, which is very good compared to a year ago. I closed the oil cooler door most of the way before takeoff because the oil was still cool, and during the flight I had it about ? open and oil temp was about 210F. I could have brought it down by opening the door more but the temp was fine so I just enjoyed the flight.

Exceptional detailed write up with great illustrations. Nice workmanship.

Hope to hear more about how the Superior cold air sump changed your performance.

Thank you for the complement, Charlie. With the changes to the snorkel there is no way of knowing what the sump did. My major reason for changing is I had run into a series of problems with the standard "M1B" intake setup. My intake used the tubes with the big o-rings on the sump end. It is a long tale of unintended consequences. When I bought the plane I had an early Veterman 4 into 2 exhaust system. I wanted more cabin heat and liked the AWI 4 into 1 unit with studs welded in the heat cuff area. When I tried to install that system in 2008 the steel. home made intake pipes were in the way. I should have reversed course but bought new intake tubes which were expensive. Those tubes had two problems. They occasionally cracked at the cylinder end due to a manufacturing defect, and were supplied with defective o-rings that delaminated. Both issues caused intake leaks with their associated performance and even safety issues. I finally decided to bite the bullet and change to a different system.. Only 20 hours in, but the Superior unit seems to be working fine and I have had no indication of an intake leak.

I just did my first oil change on mine. I bought it used.

My baffle system is going to need a do over eventually and there is some cracking where the oil filter meets the shroud in the back. As I understand it that cracking is typical due to the weight of the oil cooler and all the flexing going on.

Your set up with the oil cooler on the engine mount interests me. I've seen this setup but don't really understand all the benefits. I guess the greatest benefit to mounting the oil cooler like you did is the baffle doesn't have to support all the weight of the oil cooler thereby preventing the cracking. Are there other benefits? Is this a speed modification in some way?

The Grizzly Industrial slide door for the duct supplying air to the oil cooler is intriguing. Sounds like you can close that up on start up to get the oil temp up then adjust it as necessary in flight to get it at that optimal setting. With it more closed off it has to allow better cylinder head cooling right? More air is sent around the cylinders and less to the oil cooler. Mine only has one setting, open.

Fumoto T202NS Nipple Type Drain Valve. I looked that up. That sure would make the oil changes easier. Apparently you don't have any concerns of this device leaking or worst failing? Is the Fumoto widely used?

Thanks,

Nice writeup! I went to all kinds of trouble to keep from cutting on my snorkle but it was all in vain! I wound up butchering it and basically rebuilding it but I sure learned a lot about fiberglass. I love the oil cooler valve! I'm gonna have to have a close up look at your setup someday soon!

Oil cooler location - Most people beef up the area where the oil cooler mounts on the baffling, and many add a diagonal brace from the outboard corner of the cooler to the engine centerline to take some of the dynamic loads off the baffling. I had beefed up that area a bit a few years ago and it was working ok. I mostly wanted to put a bigger cooler in and things are tight behind #4 cylinder, especially on an -8.

The other reason I like this approach is with a 4" duct I know I have plenty of air when needed, and with the slide door I can throttle it just as you stated. Startup and early climb on on a hot day 1/2 open worked fine. I think it is logical that there is a balance between flow to the cooler and air through the cylinder and that balance is set by the slide door. I have however read of people with similar setups that did not always see the CHTs going down as the oil cooler door closed. I don't know why.

The oil drain valve is used on thousands of over the road trucks and heavy construction equipment. The valve won't open without pushing hard up on the latch and then moving the latch 90 degrees. Previously I used the Curtis type valve. If you push up on the tube or the 2 wire prngs out the side you will loose oil. The only locking feature was to lock it open. Here's a picture of the two valves.

Quick%20Drain%20Valve-M.jpg

Curtis%20valve-M.jpg

Nice writeup! I went to all kinds of trouble to keep from cutting on my snorkle but it was all in vain! I wound up butchering it and basically rebuilding it but I sure learned a lot about fiberglass. I love the oil cooler valve! I'm gonna have to have a close up look at your setup someday soon!

Been there done that! Looking forward to seeing your -7 and meeting you and your wife. How is Phase I coming?

Were you able to reuse your throttle and mixture cables?

Did you have to make new brackets for the throttle and mixture cables after installing the Superior induction?

You indicated Bill Genevro at Airflow Systems may develop a duct with a butterfly valve. I assume that would accommodate the 4" duct. If the duct/butterfly valve were available, would it (duct and butterfly value) replace the function of the Grizzly slide door or would that be in addition to it?

Is there an easy way to capture your write up along with pictures to save for reference later when I redo my shrouds?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Been there done that! Looking forward to seeing your -7 and meeting you and your wife. How is Phase I coming?

I have been on the drilling rig for two weeks just building up steam! I have 10 hrs on the 7 but havent done any REAL testing yet. Two weeks of studying here on the rig and Ive got all my flight tests mapped out. I have acquired a parachute from some of your other kinfolks who has a AT6! Im getting it repacked so I'm loaded for bear! I dont know how many G's I can stand but we will find out. I get off Wednesday morning and I know she is waiting for me!

Were you able to reuse your throttle and mixture cables?

Did you have to make new brackets for the throttle and mixture cables after installing the Superior induction?

You indicated Bill Genevro at Airflow Systems may develop a duct with a butterfly valve. I assume that would accommodate the 4" duct. If the duct/butterfly valve were available, would it (duct and butterfly value) replace the function of the Grizzly slide door or would that be in addition to it?

Is there an easy way to capture your write up along with pictures to save for reference later when I redo my shrouds?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

We were able to reuse the cables but did make new brackets. I have pictures of them.

The AirFlow Systems unit would replace the Grizzly door, and it was a 4" unit. I think he's thinking RV-10 but it would be great for RV-8/8A too. Probably most of the other models.

I had been thinking of putting it together with all the pictures in a pdf. The write up is the hard part and it's done. As a minimum I will put the pictures up on SmugMug and put a link in this thread.

I have been on the drilling rig for two weeks just building up steam! I have 10 hrs on the 7 but havent done any REAL testing yet. Two weeks of studying here on the rig and Ive got all my flight tests mapped out. I have acquired a parachute from some of your other kinfolks who has a AT6! Im getting it repacked so I'm loaded for bear! I dont know how many G's I can stand but we will find out. I get off Wednesday morning and I know she is waiting for me!

Good for you. I'll bet those two weeks dragged by! I will look forward to hearing how the next few hours go.

Thanks again for the great write up and all the responses.

I copied all the text and pictures from your thread and paste them onto a word document and saved them for later review when I go down this road.

A pdf would be excellent. Any additional pictures would be appreciated.

Let us know how it all performs and thanks again.

Thanks again for the great write up and all the responses.

I copied all the text and pictures from your thread and paste them onto a word document and saved them for later review when I go down this road.

A pdf would be excellent. Any additional pictures would be appreciated.

Let us know how it all performs and thanks again.

Which Alternator

I find the original alternator you used available to me locally, but the upgraded lug version seems to not be available. What is the designation/part number for that new alternator?
Very nice oil cooler install.

Lester #14684

I searched eBay for Lester #14684 and paged through the hits until I found one with the lug arrangement I liked.

I have now about 40 hours of flying on all the new stuff including the alternator and everything is working great and CHT and Oil Temps are very manageable. Doing an oil change this weekend so will give it all an extra good once-over.

oil drain plug

I purchased one of the heavy duty quick drain plugs you have a picture of on the first page. I could'nt get it into either of the drain points though because the part that has the release valve on it sticks out and hits the intake pipe. I have a lycoming IO360, how did you get yours in? Thanks,

Nick

Back