What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not paying property tax due to "one of a kind" plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

csgj

While at OSH 2 people with RV's told me they do not pay property tax on their planes because the exemption of "one of a kind" planes applies.
They explained to me that as long as the builder built less then 5 RV's the exemption is valid and no property tax is owed.
Think u just have to display the plane so many days during the year
Anyone hear that as well or is doing it?
:confused:

??

While at OSH 2 people with RV's told me they do not pay property tax on their planes because the exemption of "one of a kind" planes applies.
They explained to me that as long as the builder built less then 5 RV's the exemption is valid and no property tax is owed.

Craig, any idea where we may find that exemption in writing?

Thanks,

You pay tax, just because you own a plane??????????? That's a rip-off right there.

It varies widely depending on where you live. In my case, the county assesses personal property tax on automobiles, trucks, mobile homes, motorcycles, and trailers but not aircraft.

I pay a tax on my plane. Minnesota has really great airports and a terrific Department of Aeronautics. Some are funded by property taxes, some by state/municipality investment and I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before someone realizes there's more money in houses or industrial parks than people with airplanes, so I like to think I'm at least doing my part to keep the airport open.

I'm pretty sure if that was possible just by waving a magic wand, that would be a suitable alternative for all.

Pg 22 of the California BOE document has the key text that could POSSIBLY allow for an exemption, and says that an exemption is allowed for "...any aircraft of a type or model of which there are fewer than 5 in number known to exist world wide".

Here is where some interpretation comes in. If you registered the kit plane you built as a "Joe Blow 1000", and the assessor doesnt know an an RV from a cessna, maybe you have a shot at the exemption, based on the premise that you are the builder, and you have only built one Joe Blow 1000. For me, in Santa Barbara County, the county assessor recognized the plane as an RV even though it is registered as something else, and assessed me accordingly. I havent bothered to fight it; it clearly IS an RV, of which there many more than 5. Does the fact that it was built by me instead of a factory make it a one of a kind? You can be the judge, but doesnt really seem to pass the blush test when you think of the hundreds of RVs lined up at Osh looking pretty darn alike. Never hurts to try though.
If you have the plane registered as an RV-x however, , I dont see how the county assessor would ever let this exemption fly, so to speak.

erich

I don't know what Texas does, yet. When we emigrated I was surprised about the number of taxes here. Strange, I thought you guys kicked us Brits out in '76 because you didn't like taxes. LOL:D

I don't know what Texas does, yet. When we emigrated I was surprised about the number of taxes here. Strange, I thought you guys kicked us Brits out in '76 because you didn't like taxes. LOL:D

Not to put a fine line on things, but I was a history minor. The tea party protest was based on the notion that the colonists believed only their own representatives could impose the tax. The protest wasn't about taxation. It was about taxation without representation.

A tax on airplanes isn't unfair JUST because it's a tax. A lot of us benefit from government expenditure on small airports. And when governments decide to stop supporting them, bad things happen. But we all have the mechanism to campaign and effect change if we'd rather not have a funding source for aviation or any number of things from which we all benefit.

Again, I realize that's heresy on VAF, but not everyone can live on a private airpark. At KSGS, we lost our airport manager -- since rehired at less pay -- last year because people didn't want to pay taxes anymore. That's their right, of course. Those are their representatives. But the next step in the "taxes s***" mantra is going to be we'll lose the airport in favor of houses.

I'm glad my state recognizes the value of airports and of aviation. We're pretty well blessed in the United States to have the support for aviation we have, compared to what happens in other countries. We forget how good we have it here. Don't wreck it, man.

Last edited:
Some local governments in Texas even levy property tax on your personal automobile. Fortunately mine doesn't but when I lived in Dallas, they did.

Here in W.Falls TX, the local tax appraisal district exempts personally owned airplanes if they are not used for any commercial purpose, from property tax.

Some local governments in Texas even levy property tax on your personal automobile. Fortunately mine doesn't but when I lived in Dallas, they did.

Actually most states do.

They just make the yearly registration fees dependent on the value of the vehicle.... essentially the same thing.

Even the IRS recognizes this and makes the "value" portion of your auto registration fee deductible as a tax.

After doing a tour at Inland Revenue in Telford during the privatization and tax restructuring, I can guarantee you taxes laws are fubar in both countries.:eek:

bob

We should ignore each other mate.

Not to put a fine line on things, .

So why did you? Why do pople always say stuff like this then do exactly the opposite?

but I was a history minor. The tea party protest was based on the notion that the colonists believed only their own representatives could impose the tax. The protest wasn't about taxation. It was about taxation without representation.

Oh, so if the taxes had gone to Boston, or wherever instead of going to the crown that would?ve been alright then?

A tax on airplanes isn't unfair JUST because it's a tax. A lot of us benefit from government expenditure on small airports. And when governments decide to stop supporting them, bad things happen. But we all have the mechanism to campaign and effect change if we'd rather not have a funding source for aviation or any number of things from which we all benefit.

People see a ?tax? is a ?tax?, if the money goes to airports prove it, show me a trail. Tax payers decide what is fair or right therefore ?76. Lack of representation wasn?t considered fair so?..

Again, I realize that's heresy on VAF, but not everyone can live on a private airpark.

Neither do I or many on this list I?d guess, I live in what I call a housing estate, what you?d call a sub-division, though I?d live on one if I could afford it.

Times are very harsh at the moment. Anyone that expects anybody to want to pay more tax in this climate is mistaken in my view. In the UK, you have no choice, pay it or be punished, it?s as simple as that. People do not have the ?spending money? they used to.

At KSGS, we lost our airport manager -- since rehired at less pay -- last year because people didn't want to pay taxes anymore. That's their right, of course. Those are their representatives.

While I sympathise for your airport manager, he/she could have ?moved on?. When I was in the UK I worked in software I took a 60% salary cut coming here (That was my choice). I have since taken another 20% cut because I either accepted it or I was out of a job, (again my choice). Your airport manager made the same choice, to work for a lower salary. When times are better???

But the next step in the "taxes s***" mantra is going to be we'll lose the airport in favor of houses.

In the UK they just complain about noise, hey presto airport gone, so I know it happens. Many things can kill an airport, many in the UK are not supported by government and have to make their own way.

I'm glad my state recognizes the value of airports and of aviation. We're pretty well blessed in the United States to have the support for aviation we have, compared to what happens in other countries. We forget how good we have it here. Don't wreck it, man.

My first comment was because the tax was unexpected. And it was just anther way to take money out of my pocket. The second was very tongue in cheek, hence the smiley

If you can't recognise humour when you see it, I politely suggest we ignore each other from now on.

After doing a tour at Inland Revenue in Telford during the privatization and tax restructuring, I can guarantee you taxes laws are fubar in both countries.:eek:

bob

Yes I know:( The UK really likes to take your money, especially now. But the view of many in the UK is that the US, has less tax laws /lower overall taxation than the UK. When we got here it was an eye-opener, maybe I took the rose tinted glasses off :eek:

But our first year here has been one nightmare after another dealing with bearucrats (I know they're the same everywhere). We just feel it could've been easier. In fact one of the easeist people to deal with was the FAA people at KSAT, nice and helpful. We're way of topic now, back to RV's:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back