What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

!!@##%&:)

Gandalf

Well Known Member
steps.JPG

I recommend this mod.

Good idea! I put short sections of a fluorescent pink ?pool noodle? over the steps on my 9A. If it only saves you once, it?s worth it!

Once you hang the engine, you will want to do the same thing to the pitot tube sticking out of the nose. It is stainless and doesn't bend. I have a 4" scar on my left forearm to remind me.

For the iS design program, bullet nosed plugs were developed to press into the from and back of the step tubes. They will be backwards compatible to all RV-12's and will be available in the near future once in production.

In 5 1/2 years I've never left skin on my steps. The pitot tube and stall warning vane have each gotten their pound of flesh!

For the iS design program, bullet nosed plugs were developed to press into the from and back of the step tubes. They will be backwards compatible to all RV-12's and will be available in the near future once in production.

You can go to the aviation isle at Ace Hardware and find black plastic plugs that fit nicely in the end of the steps. A little two-part epoxy is all that's needed to firmly secure them.

Scott.. All the shins of future RV12 builders thank you for this improvement!

Jeff

You can go to the aviation isle at Ace Hardware and find black plastic plugs that fit nicely in the end of the steps. A little two-part epoxy is all that's needed to firmly secure them.
Yes, but are they thoroughly TSO'd:D

George

To seal-up the ends of the foot steps, I used the following plastic end-plugs:

-- Hillman Round Cap Plugs (Black) 3/4"

I found these plugs at LOWE's. Granted, they are not "bullet-shaped" so you may lose 0.000001 knots due to flat-plate drag. ;)

If you want to fill those somewhat unsightly tooling holes on your RV-12's wing tip bows, stab end ribs, and turnover bow, you might want to use the following finishing caps:

-- Hillman Arrow Clips - Nylon (White) #394150-C (for the 3/16" holes)
-- Hillman Arrow Clips - Nylon (White) #394148-A (for the 1/8" holes)

I found these caps at my local ACE Hardware store.

Back