What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview error message

My Dynon Skyview touch recently began displaying "Standby Network Error." Last flight this error message was up about half the time.

I'm also starting to see "ADS-B No Radar" displayed at times. Dynon's new tech service guy wasn't sure about these things, he said last Friday he'd do some research and get back to me.

This is a reconditioned unit installed 5 months ago to replace the original unit which failed under warranty on my RV12 SLSA, tail number 525AT.

Any ideas how to fix this or whether I might lose the EFIS display in flight if I continue?

I did just receive a detailed response from Dynon with ideas on how to troubleshoot this, a few hours after my initial post.

Last edited:
The Standby Network Error is for the redundant pair of wires on the Skyview network. The entire network only needs 2 wires to communicate with, and the other pair is the Standby Network that is there to take over in case the primary network fails. This error is telling you that there is a break in the connectivity of the second pair of wires somewhere in your Skyview network.

The ADSB No Radar is (I believe) telling you that are in receipt of a valid ADSB ground signal but without any radar-based traffic data for your location, probably due to you being out of radar reception from the ground stations, either because of altitude or terrain.

Neither of these will be a problem for continued flight, but you'll want to figure out where the wiring problem is with your standby network and solve that to restore redundancy there.

I think if you do a (find hardware), in the set up menu, it will tell you what pin is open.

I had this error. After ripping apart my wiring and finding nothing, it turned out to be a defective engine monitor unit from Dynon. Sent it in to them even though they protested for testing and bingo, it was bad. They eventually replaced the box but it was a struggle.

Learning about wiring

Thanks all of you for the feedback.

I inquired further from Dynon and while my initial troubleshooting identified "Skyview Network Connection Fault Data 2 Pair Pins 4 & 8" their tech wrote these faults are tough to identify, they may be that spot, they may be somewhere else or they may be a component. Since part of the recommended troubleshooting is "try plugging in a different connector" which as a buyer of the SLSA I don't have, should I just buy a complete new wiring setup from Van's?

How much would that cost and how long might it take to install? I haven't talked to my A&P yet about whether he works on stuff like this, but he's a two-hour flight away so if I can do some troubleshooting on my own, I need to.

Back