What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA-256 Flap Actuator Rod

Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
I am trying to get everything ready ahead of time for the initial wing fitting this weekend (weather permitting since one wing will be going out the garage door).

I was getting the VA-256 flap actuator rods with necessary bolts/washers/etc together and I see on the drawing where you are supposed to cut the equivalent piece to 4 7/8" for the RV7. I can see no reason why this wouldn't be the same on the 9? The drawing shows an overall bearing to bearing length of 6.xxx" so I am guessing go ahead and cut them? I also notice that they are not drilled through so should I measure and cut equal amounts off both ends or just hack it all off one side? Just getting my myself all worked up trying to have all the details finished to maximize fitting time in order to not have to keep the garage door up overnight or have to put the wing back on if all is not finished.

Thanks,
Scott
#90598 Fuselage (Ready to fit Wings/Empennage, Finish Kit comes Wednesday)

' Don't know for sure about 7 or 9, but I would think they're the same. You have to drill out both ends of the tube & tap to 1/4-28 for 1" deep, so it doesn't matter if you cut one end or both. Use plenty of lubricant & back the tap out frequently. I used a deburring tool to camfer the edge which makes starting the threads easier.

Derrell
7A Finish

On the 9 it's pre-threaded hex stock. If I don't hear anything definitive i'll just cut it tonight and hope for the best. It only makes sense to me that it would be cut but I don't know why it wouldn't already be the proper length? Must be one of those 51% things. :)

Scott

Call the tech support line.

For the last word on what to do, call Van's Aircraft tech support. Ken and the others have been very helpful in my project.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN

Repy fro Van's

Here is the reply from Van's on the VA-256:

"The flap pushrod is left slightly long on the -9/9A to allow you to get the proper travel on the flaps. Every plane has slight variations in manufacturing and assembly. Cut them to length after installing the flaps. The length is not the same on the -7 and -9."

Back