What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT issue or not ?

istrumit

Well Known Member
Hello all

Starting about 10 hours ago, I have CHT on number 5 (IO-540) running about 20-25 degF hotter than #6. They used to be nearly the same. So #5 is running 390-400, while #6 is running 370-380.

This is at full manifold pressure and leaned. And at full gross, in summer time.

There is not variance to mention in EGT.

My reading indicates this is not necessarily anything be concerned about.

But what say VAF ?

Thanks,

Scott

CHT

Swap the leads and probes and verify that its not an indication problem. Most of the experts say that 400 is ok AFTER the piston rings are seated.

Swap the leads and probes and verify that its not an indication problem. Most of the experts say that 400 is ok AFTER the piston rings are seated.

Try this first to get a better understanding as to weather there has been a real change or if its an instrument error.

Try this first to get a better understanding as to weather there has been a real change or if its an instrument error.
+1 on this advice. Also, you might want to think about cleaning fuel injectors. I had a similar problem with sporadic CHTs last summer. Cleaned fuel injectors and problem solved.

This is at full manifold pressure and leaned. And at full gross, in summer time.

What does this mean? Leaned how much? were you still ROP or LOP? Is this at top of climb and what IAS are you climbing at.

Review your EMS data file to see if what you think you are seeing is actually pound for pound what is happening.

As a reference when WOT/2400/LOP in summer, I will see CHT's in the 320-355dF range. In the cruise.

So, I suspected that magneto (I have lightspeed on the other side) timing had advanced and was causing CHT issues over all (not just on #5).

When I took it for an adjustment, I also took off the plenum, just to see if there was anything obvious causing #5 to run a little hot.

Yup, the beginnings of a birds nest. Straw covering the front and back fins of #3 and #5.

Problem solved.

I also got the timing checked and it was a bit off...so, all good. !

Back