What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosie & Tuppergal's Caribbean Trip 2017

Rosie

Well Known Member
Hello to our RV Family of Friends!!!!

It’s 2017... an ‘odd’ year... so that means Tuppergal and I are flying back to the Caribbean for another FUN-FILLED-FLYING-ADVENTURE as we are joined by GREAT FRIENDS!!!

This year’s Adventure BEGINS ON FRIDAY APRIL 14TH and will take us to the Islands of St. Kitts, St. Croix and Grenada with fuel stops in the Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Nevis. We return to the USA on Friday April 28th from St. Croix ;-)

Hopefully I won’t get spanked again by France ATC!!!!!! You can search 'Martinique' on this page to read about it... TOO FUNNY!!!!

I so VERY MUCH look forward to these trips that include, Flying, Friends, Food and Fun as we enjoy ‘Island Life’ relaxing on the Beach…. I believe in the saying, “Life is Short… Fly FAST!!!” For me, the hotel is where I need to stay to get to the next day of FLYING or SCUBA Diving!!!

HERE'S THE LINK TO FOLLOW OUR PROGRESS: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0WkedX0l8T2Np3JjeNp8AlHk13iAXJnKN

The flying days to follow the SPOT Tracker are:

April 14-17th Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon
April 20th Thursday
April 24th Monday
April 28-30th Fri/Sat/Sun

You already know most all of the Veteran Fliers who have made MANY flights with us over the water, and we have some new aircraft (Newbies**) flying with us for the first time. Flight Leads are BOLDED.

Here's the Group:

Alpha Flight:

Paul & Victoria Rosales (California, RV-6A)......................................**Richard Chapman & Andrew Brandt (California, RV-7A)..........................................................**Rich Emery (RV-7A, Missouri)
00_Rosie.jpt
00_ChappyAndrew.jpg
00_Elvis.jpg

Bravo Flight:

Janet & Gene Larsen (Iowa, RV-9A)............................................... Gail & Doug Dodson (Texas, Glasair II).............................................. Barry & Amy Marz (RV-10, FL)
00_Gene.jpg
00_Opie.jpg
00_Marz.jpg

Charlie Flight:

Tanya & Scott Card (Texas, RV-9A)............................................... Alina & Dave Bouno (Texas, RV-7A)................................................**Sandy & Roy Thoma (Oregon, RV-7A)

00_Cookie.jpg
00_Taco.jpg
00_Thoma.jpg

Here's the planned flight path from California to Florida and beyond (weather permitting)...About 3700nm... ONE WAY!!!:

Caribbean_Map_2017.jpg

The Newbies: Rich "Elvis" Emery met up with me in Memphis in 2013 (Central BBQ, YEAH!!!) and I met the Thoma's at OSH 2016. Richard "Chappy" Chapman is a friend of Andrew's and I am very happy to have them all join us on their first over-water-trip!!! Barry & Amy Lamboda Marz joined us less that a week before we left... GLAD TO HAVE YOU ALL WITH US!!!

Chris & Indira Kleen (not pictured) have been flying these trips with me since the Cayman Islands in 2005... They are only going to fly with us to the Dominican Republic and will then join up with Jim Parker's Caribbean Flying Adventure's trip (and then fly with him on a subsequent trip to Cuba!!!!!) I'll miss you both when you leave us!!!!!

As always, I can't thank my GREAT FRIEND & Mentor Jim "Jimmyb" Baker for introducing me to the Caribbean back in 2004 and to Van himself for designing such a AMAZING airplane that we all call an R-V!!!!!

Looking back on all the friends we've made because of our RV...Our life is for the better because of it!

If you are building, keep poundin' the rivets because it's ALL WORTH IT!!! Paul "Rosie" Rosales and Victoria "Tuppergal" Rosales

Last edited:
Have fun!

Rosie, I hope you and Tuppergal have a great trip! Be safe!

Aaahh, another grand RV adventure awaits. Only days away, but my brain is already in the islands! Things WON'T go exactly as planned, but we WILL have fun.

I long to..

..join up with this crew for a trip like this, but alas, I've got to finish my airplane first...:mad:

Part of the adventure

This trip is one I've always wanted to join. I'm soooo close to finishing my build.

the list is long....

I bet if all the "in-process" RV's of every pilot that wished they could take this trip were to magically get completed tomorrow, Rosie would have a need for a Zulu Flight.

OPEN SEAT AVAILABLE!!!!

Here's an opportunity for an RV BUILDER who can join us on SHORT NOTICE!!!! Rich "Elvis" Emery has an empty seat for this trip and would like to fill it with someone who'd like to get away for two weeks.... and can do so on one week's notice!?! If you are single, let's go! If married, you'll need a 'kitchen pass' signed by your spouse :) I'm at 661.433.6056 if you might be interested or e-mail me!!! Rosie

Call me blind!

I didn't see the dates listed, I've got the end of the month off :)

I see the light now......April 15th :(

Last edited:
Where in North Florida are you stopping? If near St. Augustine let me know and I can help with "on the ground" needs. :cool:

Last edited:
Where in North Florida are you stopping? If near St. Augustine let me know and I can help with "on the ground" needs. :cool:

Thanks for the offer Galin!!!! Not sure where the others are planning to stop but I'm hoping to have lunch with friends at Spruce Creek on Easter Sunday then to Homestead after that :) Rosie

2017 trip

Man I miss going with you all.

Safe trip blue skies

I'll be following on the laptop when I'm not at work

The Adventure begins in about 12 hours from now, Friday April 14th with our take set for sometime after 1200 PDT... and we have some VERY LATE comers joining us in their RV-10: Barry & Amy Lamboda Marz!!!!!

00_Marz.jpg

We are SO GLAD they could join us!!!! Rosie & Tuppergal :)

Ah... just got my first ping on SPOT Tracker where you can follow along:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0WkedX0l8T2Np3JjeNp8AlHk13iAXJnKN

We should be departing sometime after 1200 PDT on Friday April 14th. Here's our Starting Point from Rosamond Skypark (L00):

Day1_Location.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1241.jpg

i had ron and sandy visit stuart to readjust there load with stuff shipped here. what a great visit from some fun =vafers=. it was quick and efficient. lunch was the best at the boat house on the water front downtown area of stuart. sun and a nice breeze, sandy was starting turn red already. be careful out there in the Caribbean.
sunny skys and smooth sailing. :)
IMG_1124.jpg

Following this!!

Safe travels everyone. I will be following and living vicariously through you!! Can't wait for 2019. I should be retired and ready to go. I love the Caribbean and such a journey would be so much fun!!

trip

Rosie et all: Looking forward to following this years adventure - as are several hundred (thousand) other RV'ers. Checking the Spot tracker map and viewing the photos are highlights of my day. Safe travels, tail winds and fair skies. Jerry

Me too!

It greatly motivating to see pictures of your exploits. I hope to join you one day in a completed RV-10.

The Adventure begins in about 12 hours from now, Friday April 14th with our take set for sometime after 1200 PDT... and we have some VERY LATE comers joining us in their RV-10: Barry & Amy Lamboda Marz!!!!!

00_Marz.jpg

We are SO GLAD they could join us!!!! Rosie & Tuppergal :)

Ah... just got my first ping on SPOT Tracker where you can follow along:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0WkedX0l8T2Np3JjeNp8AlHk13iAXJnKN

We should be departing sometime after 1200 PDT on Friday April 14th. Here's our Starting Point from Rosamond Skypark (L00):

Day1_Location.jpg

If I don't get a Kitplanes article out of this trip, something is DEFINITELY wrong! :D:D

All of you have a great time.

Last edited:
Aww man, and there goes Rosie messing up his own thread with a non-resized image. I'll spank him for ya.

I taped this to my office door when I left today before 1pm:
fr_1133_res.png

Day 1: California to Texas

Just checked weather here in St. Johns (AZ) and now flying to Terry County (BFE) and will call it a day there :) Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
This is how Rosie works. First he posts to VAF at his fuel stop, then he dials all his friends to (not) say that the late afternoon turbulence airmet over the desert was full of ****. I'm not buying it. That dude is a machine! AND he is sleeping in BFE! I know Tuppergal isn't cool with that :). God speed Rosie, we'll hear ya on freq in the morning, but we'll be IFR, and not the Rosie kind.

Rosie , As a flat-lander here in Texas just wondering what altitude you were at going across Arizona and New Mexico.?

No kiddin', I'm going to bed, for there are some crazy long days ahead, and Rosie is still in the air... See ya in the morning.

Rosie doesn't fly high, he stays low. He is optimizing his Lasar ignition (NOT).

We are on the ground, safe at Terry County (BFE) airport in Texas and are going to 'slep' it right here at the FBO.... 5.2 hours on the hobbs with a bit of night flying and exciting night landing here :) We flew to SJN at 9.5K then up to 11.5K from SJN to BFE, not tooooo bumpy... LOTS of convective activity in the Amarillo area which made for a nice seat to view the lighting show!!! I'll get more pictures up tomorrow as I'm beat....And Scoot is already sleeping, HAH!!!!! I can't WAIT to have a cookie from Cookie!!!!

Our plan is to fuel somewhere in Louisiana, maybe Downtown Shreveport (DTN) then to Foley (5R4), AL so I can get me some food at Lamberts!!!!! I'd like to call it lunch but it may be a later lunch... early dinner since we are still here in Texas where EVERYTHING IS BIG!!! May try to meet up with Sharkbait and Chappy who are in OK tonight...

Thanks so much for following along and keep poundin' them rivets!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

track_l00_bfe.jpg

AMA_WX_near_BFE.jpg

Last edited:
Question?

I see your F.P. is set to go through St. Croix. This is one of my most liked spots in the islands. The airport there is on the west end of the island but the best place to go is on the east end away from the crowds. It has been some time now that I have not been there. Can you let us know haw St. Croix is doing from your stop over there and if you get a chance over on the east side of the island is Christion-Sted and a great cove where the old Grummand Goose used to fly in to. Good luck and am looking forward to you articles here. Maybe next year for me, but I would have to stay in St. Croix. and wait for you guys on the flip side. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I see your F.P. is set to go through St. Croix. This is one of my most liked spots in the islands. The airport there is on the west end of the island but the best place to go is on the east end away from the crowds. It has been some time now that I have not been there. Can you let us know haw St. Croix is doing from your stop over there and if you get a chance over on the east side of the island is Christion-Sted and a great cove where the old Grummand Goose used to fly in to. Good luck and am looking forward to you articles here. Maybe next year for me, but I would have to stay in St. Croix. and wait for you guys on the flip side. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Yes Robert, Absolutely!!!! Safe on the ground here at Jacksonville (JSO), TX for fuel, checking WX and... bathroom stop :) We departed BFE and flew about 1100 AGL for about an hour until we could safely get VFR on top (tops at 5K) and cruised at 7.5K here to JSO. Departing now for Foley (5R4), AL. From Foley, we'll fly to Gainesville (GNV), FL to meet up with Scoot & Cookie and stay the night :)

If anyone would like to join us for late lunch, early dinner TODAY at Lamberts, text me to 661.433.6056 and I will wait for you if you are not there already. I'm guessing I will be there around 1530-ish CDT and will look for texts, leaving the airport NLT 1600.

Thanks for following along!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
We landed here at Foley (5R4) AL just after 1600 and are waiting for the van to Lamberts Cafe :) One more 2-hour flight to Gainesville (GNV) FL for the night after dinner, meeting up with Scoot & Cookie :D I will get pictures up tonight!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Don't Forget; Must See

Circle at 500 feet or less. Imagine having a cold one under the grass hut on the smallest island in the Caribbean! You forgot to drop down when you flew by last time, don't forget again!
12degrees32.79minutes North/61degrees23.71minutesWest
Or:
12.5464 N/61.3953 W
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mopion
jimmyB

It was a day

Boy, I woke up at 4:30am and just couldn't sleep any longer. By 5am I sent Taco a text "Taco! Wake up! It is time to go." To which he immediately responded "I'm up, I'm up! What time is wheels up." Tanya and I were just sitting around looking at each other waiting for the sun to come up. We were socked in as expected with OVC 400-700 but we had long ago solved that problem, Twice.

We had to taxi up and down the runway and into the grass a bit "Vroom, Vroom!!!" to scare herds of early morning deer off. Picked up our clearance on the ground with Austin approach. We love the bluetooth cell coupled into the audio panel. That is a game changer. However, Tanya has yet to be able to have a telephone conversation with a headset on and audio coming through the "radio" without depressing the transmit button when she talks! It is funny, I have to whack her hand each time, and both headsets are Hot, so I can't say anything.

"090 on the heading, climb maintain 3000, expect niner thousand in 10..." And we're off. We popped out the top at around 2500' and were treated to a beautiful sunrise on top with the sun directly in our face for the next few hundred miles. All the while, Rosie was sitting on the ground in west Texas looking at similar weather... From the ground. We soon found Taco on freq out of Dallas and talked plenty of smack about how Rosie could do nothing but go to breakfast.

IMG_2913_res.png

Hundreds of miles through Texas looked like this. We didn't start to see the ground until we got to Louisana.
IMG_2917_res.png

So, here we are, fat dumb and happy on top just watching the miles click away, tracking nearest, loading nearest plates, all that stuff that you do so you're ready to pounce. That still wasn't enough to keep me entertained. The only music we listen to is the sweet purr of the fan turning up front. I did what any self respecting RV pilot would do. Find some more buttons to push, fiddle with some knobs, look at some more data or something, when I came across this EGT graph (this is a sloppy carb O320). Hmm, I wonder why #3 and #4 graphs are so noisy? Is that what a failing egt probe looks like? But what really peaked my interest with the perfectly timed burp of all egt every 60 seconds... What could that be? As I pondered the riddle...
IMG_2923_res.png

I asked the resident Ham radio operator to please turn off her APRS radio. Yep that is it. With the aprs off, no egt data burp, with it on, 60sec egt data purp. "Ok, you can turn the aprs back on." That was fun.

Ok, what next. I guess Tanya wanted in on some action, so as we passed the timezone change, she decided to change the time on the chronometer. I don't know what buttons she pushed, but she bricked it! I don't care what button you push, it gives you nuttin' but 8s with one flashing. "Dude, that is annoying. Stop the flashing." "But there is no off switch for this thing." :( sad Tanya
IMG_2924_res.png

Then she came up with a plan. Fixed!
IMG_2926_res.png

We stopped in Atlanta and had lunch with friends on the field with no major fanfare. When we got into Florida, it was clear that the smoke from fires was going to be a bit of an issue. It stretched for at least 100 mi and was visible on radar. It's base was about 6k' and top at about 11k'. We were at 9.5 vfr and didn't want to go down into the bumps, so we kindly went around.
IMG_2929_res.png

IMG_2930_res.png

IMG_2931_res.png

Safe in Gainsville FL, hopped the Holiday Inn shuttle to the hotel and set off on foot to downtown for a great dinner (and beer!) at Harry's. Rosie just touched down and should be here shortly along with Sharkbait. Breakfast at Spruce Creek tomorrow, aiming for 9am currently.
IMG_2932_res.png

Last edited:
Rosie & Tuppergal are safe in Gainesville (GNV), FL landing on Saturday night at ~2115 local time (about an hour of night flight)...again:

GNV_ramp1

We saw Scoot and Cookie's RV-9A tied down on the ramp. They departed Texas IFR this morning while we waited in Texas for the WX to clear :)

Richard "Chappy" Chapman & Andrew "Sharkbait" Brandt took off from Lake Tahoe (California) about 2 hours in front of us yesterday... and they landed here in Gainesville about 15 minutes after we did... we talked on the air-to-air frequency... blind calls... "Sharkbait, it's Rosie.. you out there?" Finally found them on frequency!!!

Andrew_Chappy_GVN.JPG

We are now here at the hotel, and I just called the Card's room...time is 2224... and they are asleep! HAH!!!! Looks like we landed at about the same time we did last night!?!?!

We'll see the Cards in the morning then flying over to Spruce Creek (7FL6) with them (2-ship) for Easter Breakfast then to Homestead. Sharkbait and Chappy are sleeping in and we'll see them later on at Homestead (X51).

Here is the SPOT track for yesterday and today... Gotta' love flying these RVs!!!

Track_L00_GNV.jpg

Here are the flying Hobbs Time stats from my...yes... ancient Garmin 496... 12.7 hours from SoCal to Florida :D

L00_GNV.jpg

Here are the pics I promised you from yesterday AND today's flying....

Last edited:

Our Neighbor, Bill Jennings was there to see us off from Rosamond, with takeoff at ~1315, Friday, April 14th.

L00.jpg

Leaving Rosamond and flying west, you've seen this before... lots of brown desert...

Desert01.jpg

Here's the Colorado River, about an hour from home, Crossing just over the Needles area, looking north:

CO_River.jpg

CO_River.jpg

We see this out in the Bagdad (AZ) area but are never quite sure what we are seeing...

Bagdad.jpg

Yes, you can find some windmills in AZ...

Windmills.jpg

2.8 hours from Rosamond (L00) has us on left base to final, RWY 21 at SJN... winds 230/19 gusting 25kts...
SJN01.jpg

Gary Liston is the airport manager and we've seen him every year since 2004... I always bring him LOGO wear from work... and he fills us up. Then Tuppergal assumes the position... let's go!

SJN02.jpg

New Mexico has some nice terrain features:

NM01.jpg

NM03.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1: California to Texas and Day 2: Texas to Florida

If you are familiar with the Albuquerque area, this is the southern end of that mountain range to the east of ABQ... this is looking north:

NM02.jpg

And off the nose, eastbound.... some clouds up ahead...

NM04.jpg

And what that buildup looked like on the Ipad Mini:

NM_WX1.jpg

And this is us keeping a healthy distance to the south of it:

NM_WX2.jpg

By this time, having left Rosamond at 1500 CDT, the sun was setting and we flew about an hour after dark... We LOVE flying at night and have over 200 hours of logged, no-kidding-it's -real-dark-out-there night flying... here's the last pic of the first day of flying, and over-the-shoulder pic:

sunset01.jpg

We landed at Brownsfield (BFE) TX just after 2100 after 2.4 hours of flying from SJN. It was easier to spend the night than travel to/from airport to town... so we just spent the night on the couch there... don't tell Tuppergal I posted this... I had the other half of the 'bed'!

BFE04.jpg

On Saturday morning, April 15th, we used the crew car to get breakfast at McDonalds and I had to take a picture of this sign:

BFE05.jpg

Here we are after refueling... Tuppergal always ready to go...

BFE01.jpg

We were about ready to turn the key when a guy walks up to catch us... wearing a VAF hat, YEAH!!! Meet Jon Fleming!!!

BFE03.jpg

And here's the picture he took of us:

BFE02.jpg

We'll stay and visit a bit longer next time Jon!!!! REALLY GREAT TO MEET YOU!!!!

Last edited:
Day 2: Texas to Florida

We flew east from BFE for a short while under the overcast before we could climb up to 7.5K and here's what we saw for xx hours to Jacksonville (JSO), TX where we stopped for fuel:

Airborne001.jpg

Here we are under the scattered cloud deck approaching JSO... Nice lake:

Airborne002.jpg

Base to final at JSO:

Airborne004.jpg

Flight time from SJN to JSO was 2.5 hours:

JSO01.jpg

I've seen lots of fun signs in the men's room at airports but this one was new to me... had to laugh!

JSO02.jpg

Quick check of WX (and post to VAF) and we were off to Foley (5R4), AL for a late lunch/early dinner at LAMBERT'S!!! We departed just after 1300 CDT to see more of the same after climbing out:

Airborne003.jpg

We past just north of Gulfport:

Garmin01.jpg

We were on base to final at 5R4 after 2.9 hours of flying from BFE:

5R4_1.jpg

5R4_Foley.jpg

After refueling, we tied down the plane, and we got a ride to Lambert's with Mickey, a cashier there, for 10 years now!

Lamberts_Mickey.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2: Texas to Florida

If you have never been to Lamberts, you HAVE to go at least ONCE in your lifetime!!!! GREAT food and GREAT fun!!!!

Lamberts1.jpg

We departed Foley just after 1800 CDT towards Pensacola and Approach gave me direct to Gainesville (GNV) at 7.5K, thank you very much!

Leaving_Foley.jpg

This is one of my favorite flights... flying eastbound just off the coast... really beautiful... the pictures don't do it justice...

Pensacola_area0.jpg

Pensacola_area1.jpg

Here are the last of the pictures for Saturday's flight from Foley (AL) to Gainesville (FL)

Hurlburt Field:

GNV01.jpg

GNV02.jpg

That's us... yes.... the Blue F-22 you see in this picture!!!!

GNV03.jpg

GNV05.jpg

GNV08.jpg

After sunset, it was another hour to landing at Gainesville, at ~2115... 2.1 hours flight time from Foley (AL).

And, as promised, you have the pictures from the last two days of flying... and it's nearly 0200 on Sunday... and I'm glad to share these pictures with you...

One more time, for motivation, here's the flight times for this trip of two days, 12.7 Hobbs hours, flying from California to Florida in this plane we all call an RV... something some of you have built or something some of you are building in your garage... "Perseverance, more important than skill, is required to finish your RV!!!" I didn't look at my Hobbs total time but I think it's somewhere near 4250 hours now.

L00_GNV.jpg

I can't say this enough... if you are building... keep poundin' them rivets BECAUSE IT'S ALL WORTH IT!!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Track_L00_GNV.jpg

PS: I'd say the Cards and us are flying to Spruce Creek (7FL6) tomorrow for Easter Breakfast but I can't... we are flying there later on THIS morning and will be there around 0900 if you'd like to join us!!! :D

PSS: If there are any blatant spelling errors or something is really messed up, e-mail me so I can fix this... I've been up a long time and now going to bed... Good MORNING :)

Last edited:
Spruce Creek Delay

Rosie got to bed too late (or is that early since is was 2am?) and missed the time hack. It must be that whole sleeping in a bed thing. Spruce Creek arrival will be closer to 9:30.

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
Nice Trip update

Thanks for the trip update guys and keep the pics coming.

Much of this along the coast is what we saw flying to SNF last week.

Keep on truckin!

After we got over Rosie deciding to sleep in and miss the brief for breakfast, we made our way back to the airport with everyone WELL rested. Rosie promptly pulled his airplane up to the self serve pumps behind a twin with empty tanks to take on 500gal. Lead scowls at him again :).
FullSizeRender_res.png

While Rosie was entertaining himself, yapping with the guy at the pumps, we marvled at how well a Bruce's canopy cleans up after a little TLC before we left home. It has only been 10yrs in use. Tanya gave it a scrub and a new application of water repellent.
IMG_2933_res.png

We finally got airborne as a two ship as Chappy and Sharkbait elected to sleep in. We had a great breakfast at Spruce Creek after which, Rosie just couldn't resist taking his airplane apart on the ramp. I'll leave you to wander, but I'm pretty sure he swapped 3-4 alternators on the last trip... As he kicked the screws around on the ramp, I tried my best to keep an eye on which direction they went.
IMG_2936_res.png

He did eventually get it back together as we spent the next 30min having a nice chat with the locals.
IMG_2937_res.png

On to our jumping off point. I think everyone is on the ramp with a functional airplane! Off to dinner.
to-Homestead_res.png

Safe travels gang. If you need anything passing back thru Florida on the West coast, let me know. Glad to help out. I wish I could have joined up but family obligations prevent it from happening.

Best,

Gman

First day from Homestead

Looks like our travelers made their fuel stop at Exuma a few minutes ago, and are continuing on. I'm not sure I should ask about that 20 minute U-turn back to Homestead this morning...unless my Spot map is showing a hiccup on my monitor.

Take care, Rosie and friends.

Back