What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making Van's plastic vents work

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
If you don't want to spend $$$$ to replace Van's eyeball vents because they are leaking or, they will not stay in the position that you set them. Then here is two ways to fix the problem.....

1. If the vents leak during the winter, just cut a business card in 1/2 the short way, open the vent, insert the cards and close the vent.

2. If the vent will not stay in position, rotate the vent till you see a small allen screw....... tighten it up.

Or you get your son, who has a 3D printer, to make you a couple of caps :cool:
He made the originals for use on his RV, so I know they will work!! I just got them and haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Leaky vents

The solutions here are difficult for us Floridians. We may take off from 80 degrees and climb to sub freezing altitudes and back in an hour or two. I am considering trying to make a seal around the seat of the butterfly to eliminate leakage while closed. I like the business card idea but want something a little more permanent.

Ideas?

vents

Cut a piece of 3/4" thick black foam roughly in the shape of a letter D. Push the foam into the duct from the outside. I had leftover foam from the stuff I bought from Spruce for the front floor. It's easily fished out come the warmer months.

Back in the day, van had a fix for sealing the plastic vents.
Basically, put some Vaseline on the inside housing of the vent, then apply some RTV or silicon to the open vanes. Close the vanes and let set over night.
The next day you have a perfect seal. Just clean off the vaseline and trim the RTV.
I have done this using black silicon and it worked well for hundreds of hours, even in the Midwest winters.
This is detailed in one of the old RVators

Bought mine from Stein Air and could not be happier.

They close when they are suppose to and open wide when they are well needed.

Back