What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle quadrant install

I searched, I really did, but couldn't find the answer to this probably too easy question. I see where the throttle quadrant (and for that matter, side panels) attaches on the side of the cockpit, but I can't clearly see if it is riveted through the skin, on a stiffener or bracket or something else. Could I please get some advice on how this is done? Thank you for your help.

Short answer: between the bulkhead at the instrument panel and the bulkhead under the roll bar. L shaped sheet metal, kinda looks like an arm rest, between the bulkheads. Quadrant mounts to the 'arm rest', which then attaches to the bulkheads. But kind of a jigsaw puzzle after the various control cables attach to the forward bulkhead. If you'll share your email address, I'll send you a pic of mine. Note that height is your choice. This one is at roughly arm rest height, but my 1st -4 (both purchased from the builders) had the quadrant arms sticking up through the top longeron cap.

Charlie

I made a rectangle out of .063 x 3/4 x 3/4 angle and mounted that vertically between the previously mentioned bulkheads. Then I bolted the quadrant to that. An added feature is there is about a 1/8 in gap between the rectangle frame and the skin that is great for holding my checklists, and airport diagrams in.

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82rb

What I did

I fabricated a fully enclosed side panel and throttle quadrant. I had to rivet a couple small angles to the skin and also tied them into the bulkheads. My quadrant is similar to the "store bought" models, but all hand-built..pretty simple actually. I have lots of pics, but not handy for posting at the moment. Send me a PM with your email, and I will send you some.

Back