What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paper pilot licenses become "illegal" after March 31, 2010

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Hopefully this reposting of an FAA email is appropriate.

Paper Pilot Certificates to Expire
Notice Number: NOTC1741

Remember that the paper pilot certificates that you have in your wallet must be replaced by the new plastic certificates by March 31, 2010.

FAR 61.19(h) reads:
(h) Duration of pilot certificates. Except for a temporary certificate issued under ?61.17 or a student pilot certificate issued under paragraph (b) of this section, the holder of a paper pilot certificate issued under this part may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2010.

If your Social Security number is your pilot certificate number you can go to this link and download the form to get a new certificate without charge: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/media/8060-56.pdf

If your pilot certificate does not contain your Social Security number, you have two options to obtain a new plastic certificate:
1. You can apply on-line by going to this link and the fee is $2.00: https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/ReqAcct.asp or,
2. You can fill out the paper form and mail it to the Airman Registry and the fee is $2.00. Go to this link for the form and address: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/media/8060-56.pdf

If you have questions concerning the process call your local FSDO office.

Going to Oshkosh?

Usually at Oshkosh they waive the fee...Great place to update if you have the old one..They have always been very helpful in the FAA building...

Repairman's Certificate

Don't forget to order a new Repaimans Certificate if you built your craft and have a paper RC. They now come in plastic and with Ron's note, I'm assuming the expiration includes them. I just ordered my plastic a few weeks back and got the RC as an afterthought. Sounds as if I accidently did a good thing. :D The English Proficency wording is automatic for US Pilots when ordering a replacement.

Since the whole world has replaced paper with plastic, my wallet is now uncomfortably thick; I've eliminated all pictures (including my wife :eek:) and other nonessential 'stuff'. I may have to start carrying a purse - not!

help

ron, I tried to find out on line how to replace my certificate which is my ss number for free? on line, could not get to the right page?. Tried to call them, good luck with gov!. maybe someone can help?.

ron, I tried to find out on line how to replace my certificate which is my ss number for free? on line, could not get to the right page?. Tried to call them, good luck with gov!. maybe someone can help?.
I did mine on line. Don't remember specifically how, but it wasn't a problem

Paper Issued in 1978

My original certificate was issued in 1978. Yes, it had my SSN as the pilot id number. After a 25 year break in my flying, my new instructor had me go to the FAA website and apply for the new plastic certificate. It was issued with the date of November 2008. Kind of miss the old one that dates my flying back to the 70's. Anyway, it only took a couple of weeks and was a very painless process. The new one just showed up in the mail.

Since then, I have about 20 hours flying a light sport Gobosh 700S. I thought a low wing stick would be a good plane to build some time in, prior to finishing off the build on my RV9A.

I thought my paper one was good forever, so thanks for the info.

It?s probably time anyhow since my paper ticket lists me as blonde and 155 lbs. Is bald considered a hair color? :D

Pilot vs Repairman certificate replacement dates

According to EAA, the paper repairman certificate is still good for a few years http://www.eaa.org/chapters/resources/articles/certificate_deadlines.asp:

"Paper" Pilot certificates - if the pilot certificate you are using is made of paper, then you have until March 31, 2010, to convert it to the new upgraded, counterfeit-resistant plastic pilot certificate. Converting your paper pilot certificate to the new plastic certificate will also meet the English proficiency requirement, since the new plastic certificate will contain the English endorsement. Reference FAR 61.19(h). There is a $2.00 fee for this certificate replacement process.

Other "Paper" certificates - if you hold a paper certificate authorizing you to perform mechanic, repairman, control tower operator, or flight engineer/flight navigator duty functions, then you have until March 31, 2013, to convert it to the new upgraded, counterfeit-resistant plastic certificate. Converting your paper certificate to the new plastic certificate will also meet the English proficiency requirement, since the new plastic certificate will contain the English endorsement, if appropriate. Reference: FAR 63.15(d) and 65.15(d). There is a $2.00 fee for this certificate replacement process.

Tim Lewis
RV-6A N47TD 1060 hrs
RV-10 N31TD - finishing painting - registration showed up in the mail today!

Back