What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Vinyl Graphics

If that is all you ever plan on doing with it then you may be OK. Cheap cutters usually cut OK in the beginning and after a few months of use start to do the job very poorly.

The price delta between a good cutter, say a Roland (whom I work for) and a Chinese knock off is fairly large. You will find a lot of people buy a cheap cutter then have to purchase a name brand cutter after 6-9 months of use.

Let me know if you have any questions about the technology or terminology.

vinyl

Just a suggestion, but if you find a small sign shop, or even better a sign person who does it part time out of their home and has the pro equipment, the cost to do it up professionally will be minimal. I have a lady who will be doing mine, and she is so excited about doing her first airplane that a ride and the cost of the vinyl is all she wants and her job, the design, and the quality of the vinyl will be top notch. More than fair to me. Cheap vinyl or poorly done graphics, or poor install with bubbles etc will be a huge pita. I could not ask for more. Great deal. She does small sign jobs, truck/trailers decals etc.

Just a suggestion. Lots of quality people with the machines already set up happy to do the job at a great price.

graphics

Tim,
I am an old sign guy, done miles of vinyl graphics....I think in the spirit of homebuilding, go for it! Maybe try cutting, masking, and applying some to your car first....it seems some folks have the knack, and some don't.
That said, there are so many pre-printed grahics available that I'd really exhaust that route. You can get a great custom look, rather than just a solid colour stripe, plus you don't have to buy rolls of vinyl you won't use.
If you do cut solid colours, you can make some amazing custom effects by shooting some Krylon spray paint on them , and then top-coat with Frog juice.
Google it, you'll find out more than you need.
Drop me a note if any questions.

( p.s. No i haven't done graphics on my own plane yet!!! typical, eh?)

Last edited:
BTW, here's the layout I'm thinking of:

mruzgo.jpg

I used Inkscape (open source vector graphics program) to produce the design.

Back