What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static line brittle and falling apart

ClayR_9A

Well Known Member
Patron
After 14 years in a Texas hangar, it looks like the tubing I used for the static line has had enough. During my annual I've noticed that it is literally falling apart. The Pitot line, however, seems to be doing just fine. It must be a different material - it looks a little like Tygon, while I believe the static was Silicone.

Now the question is, what should I replace it with? I see there are several options: Nylaflow, Tygon, to Poly-flow Polyethylene, Silicone or even aluminum tubing.

Re-routing it is going to be fun. I originally went forward through the tunnel, then through the middle of the spar (9A) and up the tunnel on the left of the cockpit and then forward to the EFIS. That tunnel on the left is riveted in place, and I think I could thread a new tube up through the old one but only if it is 1/4 OD or less. If that doesn't work, I might have to consider along the left longeron.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

Photo of the break:

1hbih1.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a 1/4" tubing (nylon?) and press-on fittings for several pitot/static/AOA installations--easy-to-use, inexpensive, readily available and works like a charm. This tubing and fittings can be found in the avionics department of your local Lowes or Home Depot. Some folks have found this stuff is also ideal for hooking up ice-makers...... ;)

Last edited:
Back