What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-xA towbar attach point question

tmillican

I have an RV-8A. I didn't build it. I've never used (or needed) a towbar until now. I now have a tug in my hangar to use with the Baron, thus I have a towbar for which I can get adapters for the RV. (https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151563&view=unread#unread)

My RV, though, has the following on the nosegear attach point.
On the left side there is an AN bolt (about 3/4" head) and a stack of four flat washers (13/16" diameter).
On the right side there is a allen bolt and a stack of four smaller flat washers(all of which about 5/8" OD).

I can have a towbar adapter made to fit these two different sizes, but I'm thinking that my RV is non-standard (if there is any such thing). What kind of bolts do others have for nosegear attachment points? Should I just keep mine as is and get the towbar made to fit, or should I swap out my bolts and if so, for what kind of bolts?

Troy

I'm thinking that the original Allen bolt was stripped out sometime in it's past and the hole was drilled & re-threaded for the larger bolt. I guess you could look into tapping out the hole for a Helicoil for the proper Allen bolt thread if you want...

I have seen those Bogert tow pins referenced on another thread. Yet looking at the two pictures on their website I cannot tell to where they are intended to attach or how they are intended to function.
It may be possible that one of them would attach to my right side with the Allen bolt, but I would still need to modify the left side which has the AN bolt.

I'm thinking that the original Allen bolt was stripped out sometime in it's past and the hole was drilled & re-threaded for the larger bolt. I guess you could look into tapping out the hole for a Helicoil for the proper Allen bolt thread if you want...

Yep, same thought on this.

I have seen those Bogert tow pins referenced on another thread. Yet looking at the two pictures on their website I cannot tell to where they are intended to attach or how they are intended to function.
It may be possible that one of them would attach to my right side with the Allen bolt, but I would still need to modify the left side which has the AN bolt.

Look at DWG C1, area B7. Where it says "11/16 hole in U-813A for Allen screw"? Also referenced in area B-10, 3/8x24x3/4 Allen Screw, etc. That's the place where the Bogert pins go...in place of the Allen screw.

I have them, they work great (and are easy to remove thus allowing simple removal of the wheel pant when necessary).

Back