What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 Education

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
What's the best (fastest) way to learn how to use the GTN650? I recently installed one in my RV9a. I do not have my IFR ticket but passed the written. Sometimes feel like I'm spinning my wheels even tho I have used the Garmin familiarization video and the online app that lets you work the knobs.

Just wondered what has worked for others. Thanks for any feedback.

Jim
Howell, MI

I was able to get fairly familiar with mine in my RV-10 by just going up and practicing with it. I was doing IFR training a couple years ago and my instructor had no idea how to use it, so he was no help. I would decide on a couple airports to do an approach and figure out how to get it loaded. A lot of stuff you can do on the ground. I got fairly good at it but sold the plane last year. I'll be back in the game hopefully next summer in the RV-9A.. I got all the goodies from SteinAir! How about Crosswinds Aviation for help. Don't they have Garmin equipped planes and young tech savvy instructors?

Go up with another pilot, have him fly the airplane while you push buttons to see what they do.

:cool:

All great suggestions. In addition, search the App Store for an app called ?Flying the GTN 650/750?. It?s a series of videos that I found really helpful.

There are several methods of learning new "glass" including the GTN-650. Here is something that may help.

Imagine a scenario or ask a CFII for a scenario such as:
  1. depart your local airport
  2. climb to NNNN altitude
  3. fly to XYZ airport (use something reasonable close by)
  4. fly the RNAV XX approach with circle to land

Then ...
  1. use the GTN iPad app, on-line sources and videos, etc to learn the buttonology to complete the task
  2. fly with a co-pilot and complete the task VFR (request the 'practice approach RNAV XX into XYZ')
  3. if you have an autopilot, perform the complete practice flight with and without the autopilot
  4. compare your ground learning with your in-flight experience

This is just one example and there are enroute navigation examples, holds, missed procedures, changing flight plans in the air, and many many more.

When you start your IFR flight training, see if you can find a CFII who is familiar with GPS and/or EFIS systems. They don't need to know your system but if they have familiarity beyond the "six pack" and "radio navigation" they will be more help to your in your airplane.

Based at PTK with GTN650 in my 9A

Jim:
I'm not too far away. If you're interested in practicing together occasionally, perhaps we can take turns flying in each other's planes and we can both learn something in the process. This would not be flight instruction, as you're best served tackling that with someone who can give it the focus you need. Let me know - (248) 417-8585

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I was able to get fairly familiar with mine in my RV-10 by just going up and practicing with it. I was doing IFR training a couple years ago and my instructor had no idea how to use it, so he was no help. I would decide on a couple airports to do an approach and figure out how to get it loaded. A lot of stuff you can do on the ground. I got fairly good at it but sold the plane last year. I'll be back in the game hopefully next summer in the RV-9A.. I got all the goodies from SteinAir! How about Crosswinds Aviation for help. Don't they have Garmin equipped planes and young tech savvy instructors?

Good to idea. I had thought about that then the thought went away-my aging brain I guess.

I do have the GTNXXX Trainer from the App Store and it is helpful but not as helpful as the slide tutorials I used back in the early 70's at college. When one task was learned and mastered you advanced to the next. Learning when flying the plane is a handful and yes I have tried going up and learning while a buddy flies the plane. I ended up poking a lot of buttons and it was time consuming. My goal is when flying in the soup I'll know how to use the GTN650 inside and out.

Thanks for your replies.

Jim

Jim:
I'm not too far away. If you're interested in practicing together occasionally, perhaps we can take turns flying in each other's planes and we can both learn something in the process. This would not be flight instruction, as you're best served tackling that with someone who can give it the focus you need. Let me know - (248) 417-8585

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks Terry!! Will take you up on that.

Jim

Old fashiond way

I actually read the manual that came with the 650. Then I installed the Garmn 650 simulator on my iPad.
Lots of good and useful information in the book.

All great suggestions. In addition, search the App Store for an app called ?Flying the GTN 650/750?. It?s a series of videos that I found really helpful.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. Just downloaded and I find it is very informative.

Garmin 650 updates

One other thing to,remember guys. Everytime your GTN-650 has it's software updated, and mine has at least thre times now, your maintenance shop should be providing to with an electronic manual file giving your the "supplemental" data for the software and how to operate the new functions that may have just been uploaded to your equipment. Also the Garmin website will allow you to download the entire pilot manual for the newest units loaded with the latest software. Lots of things changed and entire radio pages were different from what I was used to in the latest revision of software.
One other item, the reason I had my software updated was that for the last three or four months my unit would not take the monthly update to the nav data base. Terrain and runway data updated fine. After the software fix no problem with updates. Turns out about six months ago Jeppesen changed the formatting of some of the nav data and apparently it was confusing some GTN units.

If you have a flight simulator on your PC (Xplane, MSFS, etc), you can add a GTN to your panel with a plugin from here:

http://www.reality-xp.com/

I have an x-plane 11 setup and practice flying IFR approaches using the GTN to stay proficient.

What else do you have in your panel? Do you have an autopilot and/or EFIS?

Learning the GTN 650 maybe be only part of learning how to get the most out of your complete avionics systems.

Back