What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hooker Harness Options

Phil

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to order the seatbelts to drop in the airplane and I will be going with Hooker Harnesses since Crow doesn't offer a complementary color choice for our interior.

Their site is pretty weak, so I don't really know what options exist. If you just call them and tell them I need harnesses for an RV-10, will they know what I'm talking about? Or do I need to provide additional detail so they can build them.

Thanks,
Phil

Yeah, unfortunately black isn't going to work for us. Hooker is the only one that has has a broad enough color selection to get close to what we're looking for.

Phil

Just a thought Phil - for the price premium you pay for Hookers, a call to one of the other guys to see if they can do a custom color is probably worth it (especially for four sets of Hookers!). When we bought the parachute we use in Tsam, the first fellow we talked to said "no, we don't have purple..." Just then, the owner walked up and said "but we sure will find some if that is what you want!"

Thanks Paul.

I may give Crow a call tomorrow and see if they will build a custom set for me. I'd like to find someone how has built a few sets of RV-10 harnesses, because I don't know which dimensions I should be asking for.

Phil

Vans seat belts

One note concerning vans seat belts.
I bought the charcoal color because they were inexpensive and looked like they would be sufficient. I now want to replace them with hooker harnesses or another quality brand. I notice the vans belts loosen up and have to be tightened every 10 minutes or more often in turbulence. I wish I would have spent the money on quality from the start.

I ordered my seatbelts from Hooker last year and was very pleased with the service and quality. You're right, the website is not the best but if you email them, you can sort out the details. They know the dimensions for the RV10. However, my front shoulder harness came with 1/4" fittings where the plans show a 5/16" screw through the canopy. Hookers insisted they had shipped all previous RV10 harnesses with this fitting but it would have meant changing to a 1/4" screw which I wasn't happy to do. There was no problem with them sending me a replacement part.

One more thing - you may find they will be offering an Oshkosh discount. IIRC, it was 20% last year so well worth having.

One note concerning vans seat belts.
I bought the charcoal color because they were inexpensive and looked like they would be sufficient. I now want to replace them with hooker harnesses or another quality brand. I notice the vans belts loosen up and have to be tightened every 10 minutes or more often in turbulence. I wish I would have spent the money on quality from the start.

I had exactly the same experience.

Crows

I used Crow and Fred was great to work with. Knew exactly what to send and how long to make them once I told him they were for the -10. As Paul said, he might be able and willing to make you a custom color. I really like the quality of the Crows, although finding a bushing for the anchor bolts took some doing - turned out that a stack of three 6mm metric washers from Ace hardware fits perfectly and allows the seat belt anchor to turn slightly between the "arms" of the anchor point.

I just went throught this last week ...

...same issue. Needed tan belts to match the seats, which are not offered by Crow and several others. I called Crow and talked to The Man .... he said that regrettably he could not do a special order tan set, because the minimum order quantity for webbing is 5000 yards. :eek: While I sure don't like the price of the Hookers (hmmmm - hope the wife doesn't read this) , their cooperation, quality, and color selection is top notch. Mine are to ship today.

Back