What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The movie you've all been waiting for ...

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Well, maybe some of you have been waiting for it.:)

https://youtu.be/tm8EoWW9NXo

I just uploaded my newest G3X - GTN video to YouTube. This video ran a bit long so I split it into 2 parts. The link is to Part 1 and will have Part 2 uploaded by this time tomorrow.

The new video shows how to fly a heading to intercept a VOR radial. While on route to intercept the radial, I load a user defined Hold at the VOR that is to be flown prior to doing a VOR approach. While enroute to the VOR, I show the G3X engine pages.

I end Part 1 before I get to the VOR. I'll start Part 2 just before arriving at the VOR then enter the hold to do a course reversal to fly a VOR approach.

I'll update this thread when I get part 2 uploaded.

Nice, thanks for posting. I am thinking about making some posts on helpful hints/tips for the older G3X 37x series similar to the ones you and Garmin did for the touch. There's so much that works differently and they seems to have skipped it for the touch.

Thanks for the timely videos

Rick,
These are excellent and informative videos.
A few questions if you don't mind:
1. Baro minimum: Does this setting have any value other then informative? Does the AP see this setting as MDA or DA? Does it only fly off the altitude setting on top of the altimeter tape?
2. At the bottom right of your GTN there is an altitude displayed. It is not the same as the altimeter (think it was 4200). What altitude is that?
3. You stayed on the GPS during the VOR approach for a long time. Should one switch to the CDI (green) earlier? It appeared that the GPS and VOR were not on same radial.
4. Using TOGA on take-off: Can you explain in more detail how you use that. Part of reason for asking is that when my servos are engaged I lose manual trim via hat switch. Not sure if that is supposed to be like that.
5. The missed approach sequence shows (on my GTN) the altitude at which one must turn (eg climb runway heading, left turn at 2000ft). Does the AP automatically turn upon reaching that altitude?
With time I am sure I will have more questions. The learning curve is steep at present!
Thanks.
Johan

1. Baro minimum: Does this setting have any value other then informative? Does the AP see this setting as MDA or DA? Does it only fly off the altitude setting on top of the altimeter tape?
2. At the bottom right of your GTN there is an altitude displayed. It is not the same as the altimeter (think it was 4200). What altitude is that?
3. You stayed on the GPS during the VOR approach for a long time. Should one switch to the CDI (green) earlier? It appeared that the GPS and VOR were not on same radial.
4. Using TOGA on take-off: Can you explain in more detail how you use that. Part of reason for asking is that when my servos are engaged I lose manual trim via hat switch. Not sure if that is supposed to be like that.
5. The missed approach sequence shows (on my GTN) the altitude at which one must turn (eg climb runway heading, left turn at 2000ft). Does the AP automatically turn upon reaching that altitude?

1. Baro mini's are "information only". They do not control AP. As you surmised, it is the altitude setting on the top of the altimeter tape that controls the autopilot.

2. The altitude that in the lower right on the GTN is a user selectable data field. During the video, I was showing ESA - Enroute Safe Altitude. In fact, I went flying this morning and changed it to MSA - Minimum Safe Altitude.

3. I must admit, I did not do a great job of flying the VOR approach and yes, I should have gone to Green needles earlier. Regarding the VOR vs GPS course, I think that you are seeing that the VOR course is not as accurate as the GPS course - but I'm not certain that that is the reason for the disparity.

4. When I use TOGA during take-off, I'm using the Flight Director but I do not engage the autopilot. That way I have the 5 deg climb, Initial course & Initial altitude dialed in to make it easier to engage the AP when I'm ready to make the switch from hand flying to AP.

5. When you execute a Miss, you should have the initial miss altitude dialed in at the top of the altimeter tape (Ex 2000). When you hit TOGA, it will fly the miss course and climb to 2000 at 5 deg pitch up (unless you change to VS or change the pitch). You bring up a good question regarding when does the Flight Director start the turn. I think it does start once it reaches 2000 but I don't know that I have ever watched it that closely. I know for sure that the AP will fly the Miss course dead-on including any Hold that may come after the Miss. However, the pilot must dial in the altitudes that are used during the miss.

P.S. I'll be posting another video soon (probably Monday). This will be a short one on just the Flight Director - single cue vs duel cue.

Back