What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shield to Shield connection

ethand

Well Known Member
What are you guys doing for shield to shield connections?

When you have two separate shielded wire groups that need to have their shields connected what is the best (most accepted) method?

I see a few options (and I am sure I missed a few)

1) cut the shield where the conductors exit the shield/coating, open a window in the tefzel maybe 1" further back and use solder sleeves to connect the two with a pigtail of 22 ga wire.

2)Extract the wires from the shield and use the shield length to connect to the other shield through some type of connection (solder sleeve?)

3) Other options?

Thanks in advance.
E

Have no idea what system you are installing but there are some amazingly detailed directions on how to handle this in the Garmin G3X installation manuals.

Thanks, I am installing Garmin and had read a lot of the install about specific items but did not see the chapter 19 stuff. Will read it over

E

The only shield to shield splice I can remember in a G3X touch installation would be in the magnetometer wiring. Not sure why Garmin cheaped out on only giving you a few feet of wire. Both of the methods you described will work, but I prefer option 1.

Like this:
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/pigtail/pigtail.html

The solder sleeve with pig tail is the slickest way, but I think too expensive since Bobs method works so nice.

Tim Andres

Been doing something similar (I omit step 2) for about the past 30-years. This technique was taught to me by a former employer that could have paid for the Raychem Zap Splices on test cables but used this technique for most test cables but did use the Raychem Zap Splices for deliverable hardware.

One ends up with a connection as good as the Raychem "Zap Splice" solder sleeves without the high cost.

Back