What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR 20 Mounting Limitations (RV-10)

ethand

Well Known Member
I am laying out the behind the panel items and plan on mounting the GTR 20 remote com on rails between the panel and sub panel. This would be either directly below (maybe 1-2" between the GTN and GTR) the GTN650 or below and offset a foot or so to the GTN 650.

In reading the Garmin installation novel I see the following under GTR 20 mounting considerations, "To reduce interference, do not mount the GTR 20 near any other COM radio."

What is considered near?

Aren't these usually stacked in the panel, why would the remote com change that requirements?

Appreciate the assistance
E

Yep!

I saw that too, and am in the process of installing one in a customer's airplane. I mounted it on the subpanel right behind the pilot's screen. Hopefully that will work. But, yes, I had the same reaction---they are usually mounted on top of each other as you mention.

Vic

Hello Ethan,

This is probably a case of our radio engineers being a little too picky for their own good. What they really meant was this wording, which we are going to use in the next install manual revision:

To reduce interference, route the GTR 20 wiring harness separately from any COM radio or transponder antenna coax.

Believe me, I know this can be difficult in the RV, so just do what you can and it will likely turn out fine.

- Matt

Back