Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-23-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
You don't do that unless you stipulate it before entering the agreement.

Once upon a time, I sent a guy a 5 figure check based on his word and his description of an item. I thought it was completely unacceptable when he told me upon receipt of my check "I'm not shipping the item until the check clears.". You've gotta be kidding me.
Fair enough but shipping five figures worth of goods to a stranger would be as risky as writing a five figure check to one, IMO.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
I too have had excellent luck here with buying and selling, with a couple exceptions. One guy recently was a little squirrely and insisted on cashing the check before shipping. Didn't accept PayPal and never mentioned his little quirk until after I mailed a check., not cool. And one famous guy here sold me a component that, when I installed it years later after it sat, unopened, in my closet for two years, didn't work. He eventually paid half the repair and thought he was being generous. You'll love his excuse.... 2 years have past and any warranty would have expired by now... If I outed him I'd be blacklisted so it won't happen.
ALL the people that bought the intake gaskets were fabulous! Didn't make a nickel in the end but was able to repay a few folks that have been very helpful over the years so the time and effort were well worth it. All paid on time and often more than necessary, THANK YOU!
I purchased three sets and they are working just great..... Thanks again.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 AM

I have been watching this thread with some degree of concern.
Any thread about the classified section that starts with “scammed” casts a dark cloud of suspicion over every classified ad placed here. This is especially true if the alleged offender isn’t identified.

While I have no reason to believe the OP wasn’t scammed we do not know the circumstances of the deal, what was done to contact the seller nor who the seller was. We also have not heard the sellers side of this issue.

Often in the past these issues have been a result , as someone else mentioned, of an illness, miscommunication, postal error, etc.

In the meantime we are all left wondering who the offending seller is which causes concern for anyone getting ready to make a purchase from the VAF classifieds.

If you purchase an item and feel you have been scammed, and truly tried hard to contact the seller with no response or satisfaction over a reasonable period of time then you really need to identify them so they can, comment and or make it right. So the rest of us can avoid purchases from them if we agree with your grievance,. And so the ,balance of sellers ,on the site, are not under a shadow of suspicion.

If you feel scammed I suggest you make every reasonable effort to resolve the issue with the seller/buyer and then if you feel compelled to go public with your complaint then I think you are obliged to divulge the name of the alleged offender, the nature of the deal and the measures you took to resolve the issue.
Just saying you were scammed doesn’t help anyone.

Milt Concannon
Old 10-24-2016, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up

Good post, Milt, I agree 100%.

I have bought and sold a lot of items on this site without any significant problems. I did sell an instrument one time that I had not personally checked out (won't do that again), and the buyer called and said it did not work properly. I bought a new one from Aircraft Spruce and had it sent to him.

If I screw up it should cost me - that way the lesson sinks in (I still don't carry hull insurance on the plane).
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
Old 10-24-2016, 02:03 PM

The thieves will eventually go where we all mostly trust each other. When our guard is down thinking we all know the community. This is where we need to stop and take a second look. I have never had a problem here buying and selling some items but they were never big dollar stuff. But I always think back to the old Ebay days when most sellers would ship an item to the buyer before getting paid and it was pretty safe and honest. Then after the scammers got wind of the trusting Ebay community it was a free for all for the thieves. The feedback on Ebay outed the scammers, sadly after the fact, but it helped the buyers.... But ruined Ebay. One of the more scammed items being listed were Garmin 530's for real cheap prices. They were removed hours after listing but there were many listed or a long time. This was before paypal protection. I hope this community can weed out the thieves before it ruins the site.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Don't forget, we often will gladly help people out with larger transactions (and have done so MANY times over the years), but acting as an intermediary with larger transactions for folks. Sure we have to charge a few pennies for our time/effort and for optionally letting someone use a Credit card, but we are then able to verify both the item being sold and the funds being used for purchase. Not something we openly advertise, but certainly something we frequently do.

But there is also the aspect of responsibility for due diligence as well. That may sound harsh, but often times when something sounds like a great deal it isn't. That's just a cold/hard fact of life, especially with avionics. Sure, we sometimes have screamin deals ourselves (and frequently sell on this site as well as online auction sites, etc..), but even then they aren't fire sale type deals either and I hope we've worked pretty hard over the years to earn the trust of both buyers and sellers.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 PM

I used to buy/sell some high dollar items on specialty sites, my motto was "buy the seller" first, if there was no seller history or references from other trusted forum members, I would pass on the deal no matter how "attractive" it appeared.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N395V View Post
I have been watching this thread with some degree of concern.
Any thread about the classified section that starts with “scammed” casts a dark cloud of suspicion over every classified ad placed here. This is especially true if the alleged offender isn’t identified.
The value of this thread is re-re-re-reminding us CAVEAT EMPTOR.

And ways that we can screen stuff out WITHOUT jumping peoples' cases every time the gently used $5000 two screen G1000 with no tray and connector is posted. I've done it too.

It's not my board, but setting a classified policy based on length of membership and number of posts may reduce it, but we may miss some good cross posts from BT and the like.

The world we live in.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:58 PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Doug if you could prevent posters from being allowed to post a classified item unless they have some minimum number of posts that would seem to make it harder for some of these scammer types. Say 30, 40 or 50 posts. Yes they could get around it but you dont need to disclose the number and they will likely not be willing to invest the time. For legit posters this doesn't seem like much of a penalty.
* Mid Fuselage Complete
* Aft Fuselage Complete
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 10-25-2016, 10:07 PM

Default I'm a low post count guy...

..and I sure appreciate the transactions I've had on here. I've only sold a couple of things, and bought a few more, but I sure appreciate those that gave me the chance!

Ironically, as a LEO, I trust pretty much nobody, because I get lied to on a regular basis...generally I've done well here and in the shortwing forum previously; I guess I figured we were all equally plane-poor and less likely to eat our own.

Sure hate to hear someone mess that up!
Double exempt but happy to contribute! Dues paid 2016, 2017
www.know-love.org
Closed Thread