What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crow Harness closeup pic request

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Crow Harness closeup pic/info request

Hi All, Apologies on beating down this topic, I know there are several posts on the subject. But I will be putting in an order soon and I'm trying to do my homework. I'm wondering if anyone can provide recent closeup pictures, or at least be able to comment on the following;

Between the Hooker Harness and the Crow it seems that the belt fabric on the Crow is fairly rough? Not like a typical seat belt material I am used to..

Does anyone have a recent picture of the Crow Camlock. It seems they may differ in previous years.

I'm sold on shoulder pads (I found them very comfortable the one time I took a RV7 ride with hooker harn.) Is pads on the lap belt a thing?

Can anyone comment on the 2" aluminum adjusters option.

This is a really great thread here, but its 10 years old now.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=30964&highlight=review+crow+harnesses

Thanks for your help folks.

Last edited:
Hi All, Apologies on beating down this topic, I know there are several posts on the subject. But I will be putting in an order soon and I'm trying to do my homework. I'm wondering if anyone can provide recent closeup pictures, or at least be able to comment on the following;

Between the Hooker Harness and the Crow it seems that the belt fabric on the Crow is fairly rough? Not like a typical seat belt material I am used to..

Does anyone have a recent picture of the Crow Camlock. It seems they may differ in previous years.

I'm sold on shoulder pads (I found them very comfortable the one time I took a RV7 ride with hooker harn.) Is pads on the lap belt a thing?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=30964&highlight=review+crow+harnesses

I have brand new Crows. I dont think their belts are unusually rough. For sure they're more beefy than car belts, but thats to be expected. However, I dont like the pads as they are sewn into the belts; Id rather have had wrap arounds so they can be slid where you want them, but of course that can be a catch22. I have latches vs the camlock, and dont know what adjuster option is. The basic set is what I have and its more than plenty for me.

I have the cam lock. Love them. I have shoulder pads. Love them. Don?t need lap belt pads. I have no negative comments about my Crow harnesses

I can take a picture in about 2hrs..

Hi Garet, great to see you getting started on your fuselage. I've got Crow harnesses in my 9A, not the Camlock version, but I have the shoulder pads. Not much for pictures, but I'm not all that far from you if you want to see them in person. I might make a trip up to one of the airports around you in the next few weeks.

That?s my thread and 10 years later I would still buy them. I would still purchase the camloc version. The only thing I would do is buy black instead of grey. They get dirty over time and the black should hide that better.

My RV-10 will have Crows when the time comes!

A couple of photos from my build log:

IMG_0254-M.jpg

IMG_0257-M.jpg

IMG_4592-M.jpg

Webbing is very soft and comfortable. You won't need a pad on the lap belt. The sewn on shoulder pads have gotten a bit dirty, but I'm OK with that. Eventually I might try to wash them. The camlock is nice to use. The problem most folks have when they sit down in the airplane and try to buckle them up is that the tabs that go into the camlock are slightly bent (to be at a more comfortable curve when the belts are on you) and everyone tries to push the tabs in at a straight angle.

In the second photo above, you can see where I drilled some proper 1/4" holes to match up with the Van's seat belt bracket hardware. This works very well and you don't need any washers or shims for the larger holes on the Crow belt mounts.

The little "CROW" tabs that you can pull on to loosen the belts have come off and I've had to glue them back together with some contact cement.

If these ever wear out, I'm getting purple replacements. :D
Aircraft Spruce didn't offer that color, but you can get it from Crow.

My camlock version purchased in 2016 looks a little different from the above.

Sorry, not the best of pictures.

zYvMtjph.jpg

I4FEizKh.jpg

Ok, awesome responses. I think I know what to do now. I'll call crow in the morning and I'll post the review once I get the belts.

Thanks everyone

Very new to game here. I have crows in my new to me 8. Great belts, however one thing lacking, and not sure if it is an option. The 8 I trained in had loops on the outside of the lap belts. These loops allowed you to really cinch the lap belts by pushing down on the loops with your opposite hand while tightening at the same time. If you plan on going negative or zero, or just prefer being really secure this helps. Someday I will have them added.

Back