What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modifying ignition harness

hcccs

Well Known Member
My ignition harness is for 3/4" all-weather plugs and I need to change to 'standard' 5/8" plugs. The idea was to purchase parts from AS&S and modify the harness. Is it difficult to do this and do you need special tools for it?

Special Tool for Spark Plug Wires

Slick has a tool for installing the threaded connectors for the plugs.

I made a couple of them a few months ago - one for a friend and one for me. My friend makes up harnesses for a new 2-cylinder Continental type motor. He tells me the tool works just fine.

The tool isn't very hard to make - if you have a bit of machining & welding experience.

If it turns out you need one, I'll be glad to loan you mine for shipping charges only. And while you have it, you can make copies and become the European distributor!

Let me know.

Thx

HFS

I made a couple of them a few months ago - one for a friend and one for me. My friend makes up harnesses for a new 2-cylinder Continental type motor. He tells me the tool works just fine.

The tool isn't very hard to make - if you have a bit of machining & welding experience.

If it turns out you need one, I'll be glad to loan you mine for shipping charges only. And while you have it, you can make copies and become the European distributor!

Let me know.
HFS

Do you have a drawing of this tool?

Hans

Thx

Let me know.

Thx

HFS

HFS

I'm back again. I haven't done anything to my ignition wires yes. I'm in no hurry but when I am it would be nice to be prepared. The welding pliers I can see among the tools required has some things welded to it. I can make them but what about dimensions. Is there any description how the plugs, ferrules and springs are fitted to the wires? How do I know what kit I need? I'm converting from all-weather plugs to regular, 3/4" to 5/8".

Back