What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable Slack

logansc

Well Known Member
I am replacing the rudder cables on my Rocket in order to eliminate the mid-cable rear seat rudder pedal connectors. I'm ready to swage on new stainless steel forks at the (rear) rudder horns and am wondering if there are any general rules about how much slack there should be in the cable runs.

I'll just "wing it" if no one has any specific suggestions, but I know I've never seen any Rocket or RV cables that were actually taunt. I figure something like an inch or so of play will be about right, but I'm wondering if there is any general "rule of thumb" I should go by.

Regards,

Lee...

I don't know if I would just wing it (sorry) as the length of the rudder cables determine the rudder pedal position.

-Marc

Not very descriptive I guess! The new cables with forward forks are already run from the rudder pedals (temporarily bolted in) back through all the fuselage frames and out through the rudder cable fairing to the rudder horns. I have 2'-3' of slack/extra cable at the horns. I now have to swage on a new stainless steel fork on the aft end of the cable so it can be connected to the rudder horns.

I'm just wondering how much slack the "community" thinks is appropriate before I cut the cables and swage the forks on. I know some people like their rudder cables pretty tight, others not so much. I tend to fall in the latter category, but was hoping some of the forums big hitters would chime in with community wisdom.

I've been grounded with this effort (ASDB, 406, CPI ignition, new panel, etc) not to mention these new rudder cables for several weeks. I'm ready to get back in the air---the weather is great and I'm missing out on a lot of it!

Lee...

Doesn't toe pressure (or the lack of) determine cable slack? So like said before cable length sets pedal position. Can you measure the old cables compared to the new? Or have someone in the rear holding the ends as you try the pedal feel in the seat? Or clamp the ends to the rudder horn at different lengths until you are happy with the feel of the pedal...

Last edited:
The only "slack" is just the weight of the cables themselves. Hold the rudder pedals in the position where you want them to be with taut cables, pull the cables tight and swage on the rudder ends with the rudder in neutral position.

Tail Wheel "Free Play"

It sounds like you are asking about the "free play" the tail wheel has before the rudder comes into play. If so, that is controlled by the connection between the rudder horn and the TW arm. Some people like little or no free play - others (like me) have up to 1-1/2 to 2".

HFS
HR II S/N 002

Don't forget to allow for the link that goes between the cable and the pedal... It is your fine adjustment for pedal location.

Back