What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion electronic ignition

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Anybody have any knowledge or experience with this??

Functionally similar to E-mag from what I can see-------fits in mag hole, and has internal alternator. Not sure if it also has an timing advance function?

http://www.championaerospace.com/products/electronic-ignition

electIgnit_slide1.jpg

Last edited:
Hardly a pMag.

No advance (or control over the advance curve), have to use those grossly overpriced and poor quality aircraft plugs, and no price tag.

No advantage over a standard mag - other than perhaps it will last a little longer. I'm guessing the price tag will not justify that.

Carl
Still pissed that 8 of 12 Champion plugs failed after 330 hours.

Quick Research finding . . .

It looks like a clever design, from the Champion website - single PM generator, separate circuits for each 4 plugs. Some redundancy, no mention of advance.

One wonders about the validation testing, if done to industry standards, then it should be quite reliable and durable compared to mags. I would expect lighter too. You probably knew this from reading the site, now awaiting first hand experience.

Saw it at the Lycoming booth during one of the past AirVentures a few years back. It was connected to the light sport version of the 235 engine.

Not only must manufacturers provide a good product, it also must be a good value for me to adopt it. To me, good value means it must be worth the price I am paying. Champion priced the LASAR system out of reach when they purchased UNISON so any new product must have life cycle cost that are better than a conventional mag.

Carl,
I had similar issue with plugs. Called champion cust service and spoke with rep. who sent me a new set of their redesigned plugs.

Anybody have any knowledge or experience with this??

Functionally similar to E-mag from what I can see-------fits in mag hole, and has internal alternator. Not sure if it also has an timing advance function?

http://www.championaerospace.com/products/electronic-ignition

electIgnit_slide1.jpg

I don't see a port for a MAP source in the picture or their schematic/blow up, so it can't have variable timing.

EDIT: I take that back. It looks like there could be a MAP input on the round housing where the PCB is.

Larry

Last edited:
A while back Joe Logie said they were working on a replacement for the Lasar system. He said they really pushed the timing limits on the Lasar system and I can't imagine they wouldn't do a similar curve for this system.

Nice thing about the Lasar is that you actually have triple redundancy. The Lasar system will continue to work even if one or both of the mags stop working in normal magneto mode. This looks more like like a pmag, but I assume the single internal alternator is a backup for a hard-wired power supply?

Carl,
I had similar issue with plugs. Called champion cust service and spoke with rep. who sent me a new set of their redesigned plugs.

I had a similar experience. Champion sent me replacement plugs at no charge on two separate occasions for plugs that were probably 5 years old. I haven't had any problems with the replacements, but obviously I've flown a lot longer on the old ones.

Back