What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Fork Assembly Hole Enlargement

jrich

My plane (RV-12, S/N 120147) has approx. 370 hrs. I'm currently doing my condition inspection and found obvious free play of the axle inside the port side part of the nose fork. Upon disassembly and closer inspection, what is revealed is ovalation / wear in the Nose Fork Assembly (WD-1230) hole for the axle bolt.

As can be seen in the 1st attached photo, the port side hole in the fork has enlarged overall and become oblong (.390?) in the 11:00 & 5:00 o?clock positions as viewed from port side (i.e. 30 degrees aft from vertical). The starboard side hole has some enlargement primarily oblong in the same angle that matches the port side. The enlargement on the starboard side is minor in comparison to the port side hole. This is evidently due to the fact that the crest to crest diameter of the threaded end of the bolt is less than the shank diameter and the wedging action of the steel threads that slices into the softer aluminum. From the 2nd photo and 3rd photos, you can see the thread impressions made in the entire hole but primarily in the upper and lower hole segments.

I have attached other photos that clearly show the enlargement of the port side hole. Also included is a photo of the starboard hole with the bolt (hex head shown) inserted that shows a gap forming at that hole.

Additionally, as a side issue that may be affected by the free play issue, but not certain, I have attached a photo with scuff marks from the tire on the inside of the starboard fork. The larger diameter scuff mark aligns with the embossed circular rib on the tire. The smaller diameter scuff mark aligns with the top of the lettering on the tire. There are similar scuff marks on the inside of the port side fork which I did not attach a photo of here. All of these scuff marks have not yet gouged into or removed aluminum material from the forks. If Vans plans revisions of the Nose Fork Assembly (WD-1230) on the RV-12 or any other applicable plane, I recommend increasing the inside fork space dimension.

A bolt with threads that begin outside of the fork area would solve the wear action caused by the threads. But, I think the objective of having bolt threads inside the fork hole width is to ensure available threads to keep the forks from spreading (i.e. confine the forks from spreading and inhibit fatigue). However, the threads are evidently enlarging the hole. There is wear on the bolt thread crest to crest dia. (.367?) in the fork hole area as compared to the thread dia. (.370?) in the section protected by the nut. However, I was surprised to find that the bolt threads crest to crest dia. in the nut area was less than the bolt shank dia. (.373?). This smaller diameter in the threaded area is probably not the major factor causing hole enlargement, but it doesn?t help the problem.

My thinking is to drill and enlarge both holes and insert replaceable bushings in each fork with the port side bushing I.D. being smaller for a drift fit of the lesser dia. bolt threads. I?m thinking that the material for the bushing could be aluminum. Aluminum would entail more frequent replacement, brass would wear less, and steel would last longer but the bolt threads would be susceptible to wear with a steel bushing. If bushings are a viable solution, I'd appreciate the recommended O.D., specific material alloy, recommended hardness, and source for the bushings.

Any fixes or suggestions for this problem are appreciated.

John Richard
c3jufX2WDe1g-yeTady2OKJ5vrNvZj0JqgpwIj-olsnr_J3yc4dCoLLh0SE1_mk2uIz0JNJSSkfLqLVY2U4ldQUyQksrvhmqvtKwiXXGBnER0NdcvCwgKOx4YviodyZ5WmaqyTaVubtDvaRimedtBKOLEzt_303GeK7QkYsuTN_vB3kzq5050vwEVOTLoHPO6B4PQnJ0bymcv8V1y79UtBXKU158v_X8IHkXEUUy_fKLXEspl0i5mOJZh3BYsgmmIJOO74t8nuReY7BbFdQtRMc6f017sMKl_DCwG9-xiI633zFaDggZcuKLKyExa48KUIjG6qodPw1nVcHsVDY7vCsQXb_ZTVZlTrJQOtfAbvjsw9X_P0j1IeGprMLUSDL8wQAMNZgDAEBrzGRpXIsPH2w9oRPP7niGEw0PGVHh-bn7X6qGB9jAckV8KaV-MRQvMG8eQL2A03mZGJgsqZWR5uLDbWAYlGX6Tj5ydoCx157XC5mO36XRL6nq6P-I8lwJKNGZ-LjdNyaRlqAeksUGqsLyPFwYDg75vP0NAd-4Ih6kf_YPEijU8nvseTe9jkW7mH4=w480-h640-no

8nlpKSiBRKCZ4CKMbI3WR1mM31miINZF3T1j8TdgMOYfraL_zP8V3n-Tnxs2IIN8t9f2EPZdK3vJErR57o2fooi6svtl1Cy-GZBR7Tzl5brx5hw7QQNALCjuZmqK39SbkCM0KRKFSf9yGObf6rLN8rkjcF746vmKwBHoSfrGHOsqimZN-oiHHuoG_Vd9kERofadfzmElddGX4vb0YqINeANjaFI5IuDZlD6_nUkgaRBE8ZfDvmccTafNgndgar6xEN59mxwbsi-j61kWzWOQ4yRQ2DmW8pbnkP0imJif7MFrXaZUuAf3XKQZaIQL8XZxVlALWPZRFqmsnZKtZcSEqt2OEdCpWxYedIgDHePENM7Bp2bVNPZjTA_UgEW7Coh3984elUhAg6I95l7rL3QS0N2pFXeaU8hUw9lKCQ1CxquVNFqfTRVgO-sDR1gs6NPgYuRX6wlBA6Vdu9eEh6vj9IZ6wVcytVNb3o0ZVOEnvsedofZPOCPGLEH8sGSTn3PqjKBY-25_xRuSU0gcnV7EOyjlzu8U3dAtgCk5LHFVuCcy4gZxz6-OcjXzIyDsicUj_Gg=w480-h640-no

l8Pt5HB11sy28kK-uJ3tbkiCmAWAQMexIzjqE0mY3akqDAsILphhVHCWb_rM0V5ILDK4ljN8-JgD19KcIbN4tnH_nh7CpEsQ_zuWDNy6ui8yrbDublLtwf1sZub4kwWEgzsdK2GZX5fr6TE5KAoTpf_bbcLOkBUsvgzsv35UtAwSiNsG4OzSbEmyJbEvm2ZuZDMFmdIfI_WxDeAifkFaVE48b99keUYAr6fqD27XkYG83qrEauiD1Ca_eWQ8KNBfe2_B3UuiDd_9CpTiVn1KU_5pKUVI5_2rUWSN1BAyDtPWXYJT2Su6FY8Wc-_hqwXk-93tHHHFjkl0ENmTNb4YMQxSC_wClOQ8MJDcgMd7aL_UPdnDj3RXKYrBvEXuNifHsyh-aAzS5fx9LoLnrbRAPHBO0_6By9Ryi8r4SVL-6-PBH-WULfpND1GxtUGir6xh8-FQrTjwUapDENgC3XaQp3ZWnkkqMAWoWvqEWJvynFPvtnjfiWYLZk6Cjx7u8DzJ0dLLHnywZyH-4r6RLs8aE1vi1gshOR0iS8jI5n7U60mhcRaWIXREjf3qjpgMZv6R2Pk=w480-h640-no

mQmhdY8gTrGDEblSRXkIitbydrD03KeTB7NQeHcjp7UvKbIeMKUrKqzIYUe1EC-RJGaPgSKDoSBkY2JmKA-zatXtZUWOaN1iyIUrRssfdYyb6Z9zuugpk4yBL5ed5cGveE5P5a7u6IlSiUp2ZsO0GF0ebDT-xPIRunU73UzMneBNoj6juZoT_Mw5XdbYWMx4k3pLXSjh88KXaNCY7FUOu-cts3pTBy2ChNtyA2hMXfZFWrYC8nyQuuoB16HOmS6pt1wv_Icg7YWa87hc7ujcyXFaf5r7T4W_2IxHit2dfkeDEC8AknSMGvJJCWm-uAr8M4PiqRv_VpnwGU96GNQdQ36o4sFQ0HMyBIn7z4katk0QoASxdrpFwjqcdEljR2mj5f1jzi-ehnebTiAfVeQsS-vMOELjWWZSkBsEUYdmC8Rq2OFq6r23PdtmLeWA9MmcOzX97eMm38kqKFehh4wmNO1Afm7uogdh2a8yUx0uOfVl7qRfuJPKG818-ul20tGVFoYtptvlxFxK9C7ZEPEMXidtnLcxshdy98ID_EadGRDUQiZBbe44-UcZmYMWnEJY7gA=w480-h640-no

QCAey70DvgXIL-qyPKUrOing7xTM-_pOpZIsjqrMNMoV3c2wjXovkAyitUfkohdIGahv63iM1YvDrgTlwo9OLv-fkneoUDfFnYcn5QxO7r-7-rHSH7ltD_mAKLyfLP2casLr_Y0SZjFi-9BtMGuk3c8AMusQCwdIDFD8od8cjsknRThKk5A8y_d4rT98q3G6I-XnuKiZLRwbXhGGxSN3oXqjjCnwAz2ephTJrUteYjgf_VRMZyt5zpk9nLCeJM1C-aypwT8R13PGdyjOewp_uXSBdtRzf9Sp98LB18MggjJqVYik8yfbf3EyTibQ5ndit_owdfkwwLMyxjAP2dF5tPdX5UCmKe9Jo4NyPduxdFhDN0b44ZwSV2q6KFlAKQseimh_z6yttl5xKSx4f9VyMJoswUKtfeVcnmI81Bc1k_BZBgA7o42rUQfREWVpFBDLa58jUuwmnY2VG4lEdusnV6EelQ0-A2xu-glAG-hpZsFfSNG75DLkbaD7OVILncQa_pwinoUn5i6QZiUoYsX3Bp7IDnIiriDDgU4v_avDr6EeUZuowCrpxx0mALzWHhpuLT0=w480-h640-no

q27DYiR2sMpGF6nlnNiqdg_vqoPHZNKc0E4mmeBYu5uOcwsym3SYRjC0Igs_UpVI-0sptoad_jLZ4DIYDxmeGXQi3DObgpqXhJIt4-OJhoNcOGgHkbdoFhQhAs0WWGZqahNzrFGKFc6QpVufSc0cnuh4MASl15-Nx3Ko5s0XkXY3eb2T61c7nxfaj5sN8rkMndM2Ryrx3-tuPyvgg-Jw-qdj_F85dbYANyTrBTPXQkorQiO5QCo0vgIWCKb2KeHX2FUzHrJ-MisfbWYQ6V5ZVx_X-sN2-DdQa0R5LFqnBb_1xJCnFZIs0VF-KaS4dC6FqADT1wnsMQS-DaOORnI6MoXWJiPX0QrVrs4gDlPhDjuDFUoqhtpVl9_n4FmMH1I65LwEZHv_JjQD8vNO5w-6ljopStd9AG4MqJEv41vOGw_NIx1YfSlVzqnChWyVGU4rVzDNFBs8_NtkvythnYPJm2uKwIPS3IBiXtCwjh8hwHpfxBSGx7WR9idT8N8NrpbG2NyBJCLTNJ751gxQCLtaw18yA4UsjYhithzPznC0er60XMFVXGAdgG5Mv8Ftolaq8W0=w480-h640-no

7QSzl6G-K1hrbrRhPBs7jFj4rNjyJgDn-q34j6sUZDmDGKSFtVh7KPsF57rgXjRoH_ad9VJBakbE-pAu4_FCjwc9SIg3ds-BoVtZJp3FisUVjkKRtPaqRtDKfA3dSKoQSVGtEnDxF4hCegwHU0d8jS1tTGXn8yheCzBf1Qp0rDDSAP-iRXXsuiiUO-t4UK8_EMf8I30gspPsgQTamojK6tGHj7mi7uzJc7V8zodNniGQ85OArNKGjrQrfCsGuoR5j89nXlpC6-atWcxht-WgYrYbMSbowPl6TecGJAu_TQwjl8YV7MXxjIoeN0avHTKMu3MyZ_RK219CAb8R0cTz64_UcuR39xsJCG2TplVBs2BFaNFJZezE2x0pscrYTfhoU18uj3b3mrv3c9vCfB92P3QK-ilMlrHaQunVMatmmKQyd9BWta9NKop67gxlPUh6NptEDq3Ln0WtYoZ6fvL9lkxJCQgO58O20vk3mzOMB_g43FQQijdqWX6nSzBLMQctxv0DvUVRkUKm1MS6m_zsnICLVKB-5pNlAmoI2yaoZIHyM8Y7xk9ZWDiurSlYtgK7DNk=w480-h640-no

Maybe its just me, but

...the pictures you posted are not showing up on my screen. Would definitely like to see them.

...the pictures you posted are not showing up on my screen. Would definitely like to see them.

I don't know why this is happening. The pictures show up on my computer screen the first time it is displayed. If I refresh the screen, only the first picture is shown. If I press the refresh button (or F5) while holding down the CTRL button, they all show up.

If you are trying to look at the post from your mobile phone, they may not show up. They don't on mine. This is weird because I did it the same way as a previous post of a few months ago and I can see them on my mobile phone. I'm hosting them on Google so that may be the problem. Not sure but hopefully the CTRL-refresh will work. If not let me know.

John Richard

My Mac isn't happy with your pics either. Problem most likely on your end as I can always view pics on VAF...

My plane (RV-12, S/N 120147) has approx. 370 hrs. I'm currently doing my condition inspection and found obvious free play of the axle inside the port side part of the nose fork. Upon disassembly and closer inspection, what is revealed is ovalation / wear in the Nose Fork Assembly (WD-1230) hole for the axle bolt.

Additionally, as a side issue that may be affected by the free play issue, but not certain, I have attached a photo with scuff marks from the tire on the inside of the starboard fork. The larger diameter scuff mark aligns with the embossed circular rib on the tire. The smaller diameter scuff mark aligns with the top of the lettering on the tire. There are similar scuff marks on the inside of the port side fork which I did not attach a photo of here. All of these scuff marks have not yet gouged into or removed aluminum material from the forks. If Vans plans revisions of the Nose Fork Assembly (WD-1230) on the RV-12 or any other applicable plane, I recommend increasing the inside fork space dimension.

A bolt with threads that begin outside of the fork area would solve the wear action caused by the threads. But, I think the objective of having bolt threads inside the fork hole width is to ensure available threads to keep the forks from spreading (i.e. confine the forks from spreading and inhibit fatigue). However, the threads are evidently enlarging the hole. There is wear on the bolt thread crest to crest dia. (.367?) in the fork hole area as compared to the thread dia. (.370?) in the section protected by the nut. However, I was surprised to find that the bolt threads crest to crest dia. in the nut area was less than the bolt shank dia. (.373?). This smaller diameter in the threaded area is probably not the major factor causing hole enlargement, but it doesn?t help the problem.

Any fixes or suggestions for this problem are appreciated.

John Richard

no[/IMG]

I am sure the design would have the bolt threads fully exposed and the shank of the bolt rest in the hole. Did you check all of the parts as you installed them? It sounds like spacers inside the fork are missing, and the bolt is the wrong length.

Be careful with your repair, you don't want any binding here.

Engineering design dictates that no threads are ever placed in bearing for the very reasons your structural failures demonstrates. Just imagine the incredibly high P/A (pressure/area) bearing force those thread edges impose on the receiving bearing surface. At a metallurgical level you push the material into its yield region (seen by visible cuts in the hole wall) and start to load up the hole not on ? its bearing surface (normal load path) but with a bolt shank that now, due to surface yielding, ever so slightly starts to ?over-bear? on the hole walls (same P less A) causing over time the ovulation of the hole as loading is repeated. Whew! Anyway, that is likely what is going on.

The design should call out a bolt with bare shank just exiting the hole and then washer-up as needed for proper clamp-up As someone suggested, I suspect the wrong length was used or provided for use. Since you now have oblong holes, how are you going to assure boring out at the true center without drift of the boring tool? You could now end up, if not cut true, ever so slightly off center adjoining holes or is there something I am missing?

I am sure the design would have the bolt threads fully exposed and the shank of the bolt rest in the hole. Did you check all of the parts as you installed them? It sounds like spacers inside the fork are missing, and the bolt is the wrong length.

Be careful with your repair, you don't want any binding here.

I believe that I have the appropriate axle (U-1210A) and spacer (U-1210B). These measure 5.270” end to end when assembled. If you add to this dimension the washer (.061” thick) under the AN6-60A bolt head plus the .125” thickness of each fork, the math is: 5.270 + .061 + (2) x (.125) = 5.581”. The grip length of the AN6-60A bolt is 5.438”. Since 5.581 – 5.438 = .143” which is greater than the thickness (.125) of one fork, you can see that all of that one fork hole will be in contact only with threads. In fact, the threads extend .018" inside of that one fork. See my drawing below:
JyhG1KWVH-w4tKeVPFvtbfxR5LP1LsMkDMX8XuoFxco-5OZucGw50mGNOoWIVTXbcvzY_KKNxE5FO9rPYQsSUD8JWdCxUWTQ1gmj91U3P1pU3UqLzDeyXhPPvZV2_KdtWEpeuah_bztyIe6qCv0DvK4lSnG3h5Jqgwe6ddhRRg3w8LC2bSGDuO93avnSoO7P681pfqf0vAuI7eb0ISiRh7b2FEdkTc5p8kgh9C_uOZvUvL1eFaaL0FwktORhdze1Z8jhyTCVDOFDMpx6wWgQuRDE5f3mqOFULM0Ad0ruilTooephaLJ4pdJZni9psc5apH6bv4cwdB0XvJ9Z4SS63la26-UgoIAD0QNsqZLVAk3nqAaI8wPbybvDiNHHRwF5qppEMrlBQyouhLeYZ-bbwfjU6QOKolbhgQEOwZLo4a3XawHbWZSxzxTB8U18RISgf6-l5Dk258YyDGoKvpFh-wSYoD2-iTNKg9ekXJoxoP3Ot4z8USceHZO_yt7v_1edPvA2yhJegJpVQPgqqzVTfJaC3uJlwsn3fxONEMCdT9-h4iELAK8pVhwxU-Deo9YMzAk=w480-h640-no

Last edited:
I think they're set to private on your host.
I think you're right. I've now made sure they are shared. Thanks for the heads up on that. However, it looks like the post #9 may still require a CTRL refresh sometimes. It may have something to do with the number of pictures. Post #13 should also have a picture. Post #1 are the same pictures as Post #9 but does not always show them even though they are the same shared pictures plus one additional picture.

Engineering design dictates that no threads are ever placed in bearing for the very reasons your structural failures demonstrates. Just imagine the incredibly high P/A (pressure/area) bearing force those thread edges impose on the receiving bearing surface. At a metallurgical level you push the material into its yield region (seen by visible cuts in the hole wall) and start to load up the hole not on ? its bearing surface (normal load path) but with a bolt shank that now, due to surface yielding, ever so slightly starts to ?over-bear? on the hole walls (same P less A) causing over time the ovulation of the hole as loading is repeated. Whew! Anyway, that is likely what is going on.

The design should call out a bolt with bare shank just exiting the hole and then washer-up as needed for proper clamp-up As someone suggested, I suspect the wrong length was used or provided for use. Since you now have oblong holes, how are you going to assure boring out at the true center without drift of the boring tool? You could now end up, if not cut true, ever so slightly off center adjoining holes or is there something I am missing?

You are correct on all of what you've written. Regarding the drilling of the existing ratty hole, it will be difficult to hit the original center. However, by clamping the fork down in as near the estimated center as possible and gradually drilling up with progressively larger diameter bits, I believe I can approximate the center. I know that this will be better than the existing off center assembly that I have now. You're point about the longer shank bolt and adding washer of thicknesses as necessary is very good.

Thanks.

I believe that I have the appropriate axle (U-1210A) and spacer (U-1210B). These measure 5.270? end to end when assembled. If you add to this dimension the washer (.061? thick) under the AN6-60A bolt head plus the .125? thickness of each fork, the math is: 5.270 + .061 + (2) x (.125) = 5.581?. The grip length of the AN6-60A bolt is 5.438?. Since 5.581 ? 5.438 = .143? which is greater than the thickness (.125) of one fork, you can see that all of that one fork hole will be in contact only with threads. In fact, the threads extend .018" inside of that one fork. See my drawing below:
[]

Your above dimensions prove that the bolt is too short for the application.

I believe that I have the appropriate axle (U-1210A) and spacer (U-1210B). These measure 5.270? end to end when assembled. If you add to this dimension the washer (.061? thick) under the AN6-60A bolt head plus the .125? thickness of each fork, the math is: 5.270 + .061 + (2) x (.125) = 5.581?. The grip length of the AN6-60A bolt is 5.438?. Since 5.581 ? 5.438 = .143? which is greater than the thickness (.125) of one fork, you can see that all of that one fork hole will be in contact only with threads. In fact, the threads extend .018" inside of that one fork.

The way you phrased your calculation it sounds like you may have included the spacer in the total. The spacer should not be included since it rides on the end of the axle. See Figure 3 Page 35-06.

I just yesterday had my nose wheel assembly apart for cleaning and re-lube of the fork. With this thread in mind I checked the axle bolt holes carefully and did not find evidence of excessive wear.
i-SkF33XB-L.jpg

Two possibilities for the wear jrich found.
First the washer under the bolt head specified in the plans is a thin washer (.032") not .061".
Second, one or both of the wheel bearings may not be fully seated in the wheel halves.
The AN6-60A axle bolt could be a bit short in some of these assemblies. An AN6-61A is 1/8" longer grip length and may be a bit too long, but that could be compensated with washers under the bolt head and adjusted so no threads are in the fork bolt hole.

Last edited:
Back