What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vixen file help

Joeyo68

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am not used to seeing Vixen files, and have the opportunity to buy one for my build. It is 12" long, and has 9TPI. Is this too coarse to use in building an RV?

Cheers,

Joe

Vixen File

Great for fitting the fiberglass tips and shaping larger aluminum parts. I'd say yes.

A vixen file is one of the best files you could buy for your project. I use it almost anywhere I can fit it. It's great for taking down larger areas of fiberglass or aluminum but if you use the right pressure it is also great for polishing edges.

I have a couple of Vixen files that have different TPI on each side. I think 8 or 9 on one side and 12 on the other. When used on sheet metal edges they are run parallel to the edge, not across it so the courser tooth will work fine. You can use it sort of like a wood plane on the edge. It will make straight edges if used properly and removes material fast. I use it to file to a trim line while keeping the line straight.

As others mentioned, they are used for fiberglass also. If you use any file on fiberGLASS, the glass will dull the teeth and ruin them for use on metal. I have one for fiberglass and one for aluminum. They do not work well with harder materials like steel or stainless steel.

I've used one for years that an old hand at sheetmetal work passed on to me. It's a bit dull these days but I did use it a bit on a buddies RV-7 build. Used with care it will produce a near mirror finish all by itself. A brand new one leave a smooth surface as well, just not a smooth as my worn-in file.

They take a just little bit of practice to use well, but I wouldn't be without one for aluminum work.

Vixen File - Very Useful Tool

I agree with RVTrumpet, it's almost a requirement if you're picky about the edge finish of aluminum pieces (I am). Makes fairly quick work to remove the rough edges and achieve a nice straight smooth edge.

One thing I learned is to occasional flip the file so that I'm not using the same side/pitch all the time. That way if the file develops a mild "chatter" as you run it along an edge, the slightly finer (or coarser) pitch on the other side will remove the very shallow "waves" that can result from the chatters. You'll feel it when they develop. Just turn the file over and a couple of strokes will make 'em smooth and straight. I've only used mine on aluminum. Still sharp after a -12's worth of use.

Use a wire brush to clean shavings out of the teeth once in a while.

Back