What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

compound on engine temp pick-ups

JRo

Well Known Member
I have about 80 hours now, and I've had 5-6 problems with the engine temp pick-ups. It's just a simple blade connector squeeze-fitted to a knob for both CHT indicators and the engine oil temp. Each time I've corrected the problem with a tighter squeeze, but only temporarily. Today I listened to the pesky aural "engine speed" warning and a flashing red tachometer on a return-to-base cross country because of the oil temp pick-up being not (quite) tight enough again.

Is there a compound I can apply to the sensor to remedy this problem? Anyone else experience this issue? Got an alternative solution?

Thanks.

Jim
N448JR

Are you talking about a blade terminal mounted to the sensor with a "rivet" like rolled over contact??

If so, you could look at soldering :)eek:) the blade to the sensor, but I suspect the real cause of the problem is the wire is not supported correctly and is allowed to move/vibrate, and thus is loosening the connection.

A photo would help in this remote diagnosis.

It is much more likely that the intermittent connection is related to the crimp of the connector on the wire, than the connection of the connector to the sensor.

Connector, not the sensor.

Yes. I wasn't recommending soldering to the sensor. Just solder the wire to the connector. And insure it's supported properly.

Vic

Back