What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gel cell battery freezing

JRo

Well Known Member
I just chatted with a fellow who uses a Gel cell battery in his race car. He mentioned that freezing of the electrolyte can be an issue in sub-zero temperatures, and that this can cause shifting og the plates which eventually destroys the battery.

I became concerned, as this was my first winter in an unheated hangar with my newly completed RV-12. It was an especially cold winter here in upstate New York. Was I remiss? Are there special considerations with regard to the battery (or other components) of the RV-12 in extreme temperatures?

I've flown 80 hours since completing my kit in September, including extended cold weather operations, and experienced no problems apart from the excessive oil warm-up times.

Thanks,

Jim R.
N448JR

battery freezin

Can the gel cell battery in the RV-12 experience damage from extreme cold?

What battery is used in an RV-12?

If it is the same battery as most RV's, a Odyssey PC680 then it is not a gell cell and you will not have an issue. We were down to the minus 20's F this winter on a regular basis and my PC680 had no issue when I got my RV-6 back in the air at the end of March. I thought I had a bad battery after only 1 year of use but found out that it was actually a bad starter relay.

I did a quick Google search and found MK Batteries says that their Gel batteries are fine to -25F fully charged.

It isn't a gel cell.
My understanding is that it should be able to tolerate any conditions that most other lead acid batteries do.

THIS document has a limited amount of info concerning cold weather performance.

Freezing battery

It is my understanding that a acid type battery will freeze if discharged. A fully or partially charged battery will not. I'm not sure if a AGM or gel battery has the same characteristics .:rolleyes:

a regular lead acid battery will freeze and crack the case if you leave the master on in a piper warrior in about 1985! can you imagine the damage if there hadn't been a good battery box and drain tube?
this past winter we had 35 below and i have never had a problem as long as the battery is fully charged. this includes the 625 i have.

Back