What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lowering the seat(s)

JRo

Well Known Member
I have about 70 hours in my new RV-12 now, and love it. And I'm learning to live with the design discrepancies (hard to get in & out of, needing to "burp" the engine, taking forever to warm up the oil, etc.).

But here's one thing I figure there's a cure for: my headset hits the canopy. And I'm only 5'8". Many of my passengers are taller, including my 16 year-old son. He actually rides with his headset touching the canopy. Seems to me like a thinner seat bottom cushion is the way to go.

By the way, the best technique for cutting pillow foam neatly is to use an electric reciprocating carving knife. But as I was about to operate, I stopped myself, realizing the beautiful tailored upholstery of the seat bottom cushion would no longer be taut if I trimmed the inside foam, and might look "wonky".

Any thoughts? Do they make a thinner bottom cushion? Where & how much?

Thanks,
Jim
N448JR

You're 5'8" and your headset is hitting the canopy? Do you mean when in turbulent air? I'm 5'11" and had no such trouble when I test rode a 12. What headset do you have?

Hmmm... I'm 6'0" and have a sheepskin padded top on the headset band and have at least 2 inches clearance. Yeah, whats up?

Overall height has little to do with "sitting" height.
My wife is 2" shorter than me but her legs are longer and her torso is shorter.
I need cushion at my back and she needs cushions under her butt.

I am 5'10" and had the same problem. I now use Clarity Aloft headsets and will not go back.

I'm 5'9" and have not had a problem except in turbulence. My friend is 6'1" and when he flies with me I end up pulling out the wedge under the seat cushion. That seems to work.

Im 6'4", also using Clarity Aloft. Clearance about an inch (don't use the wedge). Never touched the canopy in turbulent conditions.
You can reduce your warmup time to less than 5 minutes with the thermostasis.

Thanks for the info. Tell me more, please, about the thermostasis. BTW, I fly with a Bose A20, which has a metal hinge at the peak (now felt-covered). Though I'm only 5'8" i have 3 small scratches above my head in the plexi from both turbulence & lifting slightly off the seat to fish for seatbelts. My other headset is the new David Clark ANR headset, which is smooth at the apex.

I have about 70 hours in my new RV-12 now, and love it. And I'm learning to live with the design discrepancies (hard to get in & out of).

I guess it all depends on who you are and what process you are using....

A lot of RV-12 owners say they like it because it is so easy to get in and out of. Flat floor to step in on to, etc.

seating

I flew with Mitch Lock last year at Sebring and found seat access easy. I was able to step in from the ground, didn't get on the wing. I'm 6'2" so that technique might not work for you. Also had three fingers clearance to the canopy, this demo ride sold me on purchase of-12.

Back