What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mcfarlane Vernier Throttle Cable

todehnal

Well Known Member
Is anyone using the Mcfarlane vernier throttle cable? I bought it quite awhile back, and just got it installed on my RV-12. I cannot get the vernier to work. The knob rotates nicely, but it doesn't effect the throttle setting. I have tried tightening and loosening the friction lock, but I get nothing. Is mine defective, or did I get sold down the river?

Tom

Is anyone using the Mcfarlane vernier throttle cable? I bought it quite awhile back, and just got it installed on my RV-12. I cannot get the vernier to work. The knob rotates nicely, but it doesn't effect the throttle setting. I have tried tightening and loosening the friction lock, but I get nothing. Is mine defective, or did I get sold down the river?

Tom

Works great and love it! :) Call them and I am sure they will assist, their customer service is very good.

I installed mine when doing the SB 13-08-29. It work great. If yours doesn't work I assume it is defective. My plane is tucked away for the winter but when I return from Florida I have to do some minor adjustments. On landings I can turn the RPM down too low and I have already stopped the engine. OOOPS!

Thanks for the replies guys. I just called them. As you said, they sure seem easy to work with. I talked with Joe out there. He is getting approval from someone there, so that I can send it back for replacement. I expect that it will be a bit of a chore to replace, but I am sure that it will be worth it. I will follow up with the end result of this issue..........Tom

I installed one with the weaker springs a few months back and it didn't hold the throttle in place sufficiently. The throttle would creep forward. I called McFarlane and Joe (I think) provided me with a longer length knurled locking "nut" that compresses the internal spring more to effect greater friction on the throttle shaft. That longer nut really helped a lot. My wife, who also flies our RV-12, is not quite completley happy but is happier. The other thing that you may have to do, especially when wanting to throttle back, is slightly pull as you "unscrew" (turn counter clockwise) or push "screw" (turn clockwise) the throttle. This is actually called for in the instructions that came with our units. Note also that with my unit, the knurled locking "nut" loosens inexplicably. So also, per the instructions, the tighter the knurled locking "nut" is, the better the throttle holding and vernier action is available. I say this because sometimes I find the throttle creeping and then I realize that the nut isn't tight. After tightnening, it works well enough. Again, I don't know why the nut loosens. If anyone has a thought on this, let me/us know.

My replacement throttle came today from McFarlane. Wow!! What difference. I did have to enlarge the mounting hole,from 1/2" to 3/4" but it sure looks like it is a quality piece of gear. It came with new springs, as well. I think that I am going to love this mod. Now, lets see if they refund me for the defective throttle that I had. I'll post the outcome........

Tom

Back