What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelan Strobe Issue

RedRaider94

Since you all solved my last lighting problem, I have another challenge. I recently bought this plane so don?t know exactly how things were wired - I am learning as I go.

We bought the plane and the wing strobe lights didn?t work. Looked like they were both burned out (lamps). They are Whalen 601 lights. The tail strobe did work fine. I thought it was odd that both burned out as the plane had 1300 hrs and I thought they had a longer lifespan.

Installed two new bulbs and they worked great...... for about 4 hours and now both are not working. Tail strobe still works. It is one switch that operates all 3 strobes. I am guessing there are two ballasts, one for wings and one for tail as the wings and tail flash at different times. Or maybe it?s one ballast and they are both hooked in. Not sure as I don?t know where that was installed.

I have not checked the fuse but when we got the plane the fuse was fine and since the tail is working I assume the fuse is fine still. Will check tomorrow.

** My partner told me the strobes stopped working so haven?t inspected the bulbs yet but guessing they are blown like last time.

Any idea what the lifespan is on these bulbs and any ideas what might be burning the bulbs if that is the case? I think these are grounded to the wings like the other lights if that matters.

Thanks!

If I remember, my Whelen power pack has a jumper that determines the strobe sequence. ie all three strobes at once or alternating between tail and wingtips. You might check to see if the jumper and other connections are correct.

Just a guess/suggestion.

Good luck

Sam

My recommendation, if this turns out to be an expensive fix don?t dump more money into it, replace with AeroLED nav/strobes.

Carl

My recommendation, if this turns out to be an expensive fix don?t dump more money into it, replace with AeroLED nav/strobes.

Carl

If you go the replacement route, you can also check with Whelen. Their replacement LEDs use the same form factor as the original style and importantly the same holes for mounting. This is the route I took when I replaced mine and saved me from having to do any fiberglass work. They work great.

Chris

If I remember, my Whelen power pack has a jumper that determines the strobe sequence. ie all three strobes at once or alternating between tail and wingtips. You might check to see if the jumper and other connections are correct.

Just a guess/suggestion.

Good luck

Sam
+1
Pull gently on the jumpers and make sure one isn't loose. Also, watch output connections when power is on (don't touch!) and see if one is arcing to ground.

Could be mounted anywhere, luggage area, under luggage area, behind luggage area, under seats, anywhere you can hide a 5"x6"x2" box.
I have a 9A in here right now that has the power pack mounted on the sub panel in front of the efis- definitely not my first choice for location!
My suggestion- check wiring & grounds before replacing anything.
I once had a nav/strobe system that repeatedly lost ground & took forever to diagnose. Turned out to be galvanic corrosion between the light socket & metal lamp mounting plate (they were stamp crimped together!) There was a blue cloud in the hangar that day!!

Back