What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN5-47A bolt insertion on page 35iS/U-03

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I believe I've hit an issue with step 3 on this page where I'm instructed to insert the AN5-47A bolts. Namely, with the fuel tank installed, this is an impossible task to perform as illustrated :(

Has anyone else hit this? I will call the mothership on Monday to see if it's acceptable to insert the bolts from the other direction or to find out if I'll need to remove the tank to insert these correctly.

Any advice appreciated.

Talked to Eric this morning and got a confirmation email back this afternoon - I can invert bolts for installation with the addition of a washer under the bolt head in order to aid in rotation/torquing.

It this point in the build I would recommend having the fuel tank removed until the wiring harnesses are installed. When the tank is built, fit it, and then leave it out till the build is almost complete and your ready to attach tail cone and turtle back skins. Don't attach the tail cone until the last, there are some avionics, and pumps, filters that are much easer to install with that tail cone off.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I can report back that attempting to insert the bolts from below didn't work out. We spent an unpleasant 90 minutes trying to insert them in this fashion, but there's not enough room to get a good angle on inserting them from below. We gave up and removed the tank (not very difficult with crow's foot wrenches).

Inserting the bolts from above was instructive. Had to use a hammer and a wood block to get them in (I had my interior painted prior so overspray into these holes may have made this more difficult than normal). There's no way we would have ever gotten them in from below.

Back