What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure Sensor question - need help please

taverroi

Well Known Member
Does anybody know if you can test your oil pressure sensor off of the airplane… Or test it in place on the airplane to determine whether it is good or bad before a new one is purchased... if it can be tested please if you’re able describe to me how?

Thanks

Tango

Last edited:
It will read air pressure. You could hook it up to some plumbing parts and use air. That's how I tested mine.

The test method depends on the unit you have. Typically they put out a very low voltage that is linier across the pressure range. If you get the spec. on it you can measure the voltage at a given pressure.
You can usually find the specs if you know the make/model of the sensor.
The system has two components, a sender (pressure sensor) and a receiver (gauge/read-out). You can test the read-out by feeding it a signal - either with a signal generator, or by putting a different known good sender of similar voltage range to it. For example, if your MAP sender operates in the same voltage range as your oil pressure sender, you can swap the leads to see what happens. The reading you get will be way off, but it will tell you if it is working.
If you have a Vans gauge set, I would suspect the gauge is the issue rather than the sender.

Or simply screw a mechanical gauge into the same port or fitting and run the engine, then compare.
Tim Andres

Back