- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniago View Post
Thanks guys, I have the latest manual and I have the Control program, and Ive read the Navworx AMOCs thread http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...80+AMOC&page=5

All I'm after is for the 480 what install gotchas are there.....like the below comment by Recapen on the 430 (from the above thread).

Also Bob (and thanks for all your work in this area! ) the AMOCs reference install diagrams, but dont include those in the approvals. They they do not specifically say those are Navworx diagrams, but reference them as the requester's diagrams, in my case for the 480, Phil Yoder's diagrams.

So how exactly do I (or anyone else) know what they are or where to get them in order to comply with the install?
I wrote most of the AMOC that Phil used for the 480 approval. There is absolutely no magic here. Follow the instructions in the Navworx manual ADS600-B Installation Manual 240-0008-00-39. Bill has documented the install process quite well for the 480. The diagrams in the AMOC submissions were cut and pasted directly out of this manual.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I wrote most of the AMOC that Phil used for the 480 approval. There is absolutely no magic here. Follow the instructions in the Navworx manual ADS600-B Installation Manual 240-0008-00-39. Bill has documented the install process quite well for the 480. The diagrams in the AMOC submissions were cut and pasted directly out of this manual.
Ok thanks. Uh who's "Bill" exactly.....?

-------
Oh wait - do you mean Bill Moffet? Ok that would make sense in this context.....I'm clearly late to the navworx universe......
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 09-27-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 PM

My Navworx is wired to a 430W for position and SL-70 transponder. The 430W is also wired for the IN but all it Navworx can supply is traffic, i.e. no FIS-B/WX, since Garmin doesn't play nice with others. Traffic is also all Navworx could provide to my 796 so I've kept my GDL-39 to feed the 796 instead of using Navworx. The combo seems to recognize own ship well and I don't get any ghost targets.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - 16 yrs and 98.1% done
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
3.5 L-2 projects on deck
Old 10-14-2018, 04:15 PM

I have an ADS-600B, one of the earliest ones and it had to go back to the factory a few times for updates and once for repair, costing me some extra $$.

I complied with the AD by updating the SW on my Garmin 400W (the GPS-only version of the 430W) and getting the GPS input from that per the AMOC. Transponder is a Garmin GTX-327. Targets show up nicely on my Advanced Flight Systems AF-5600.

Functionally it works pretty well. I have gotten ghosts from time to time but usually only briefly.

Leaving aside all the turmoil with Navworx, if I had it to do over I would do a number of things differently. For one, I'd get a something with a dual receiver (960 and 1090ES). A lot of planes (not just airliners) broadcast 1090ES out and receiving those guys directly is far better than depending on ADS-R. Meaning that those targets go away when I'm outside or below radar or ADS-R coverage. I also wish I'd waited a little longer for the technology to mature, for one thing because I'd have had more units to choose from including the (much simpler to install) all-in-one units. Oh and I would have been eligible for a rebate if I hadn't been an early adopter -- arg!

That said, there are surprisingly many targets out there that I would never have been aware of otherwise, so having that added awareness over this time has certainly enhanced my safety.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:07 PM

I got my NavworxB box working (Yea!), but without configurations and settings being documented anywhere I could find (ie not in the Navworx, 480, 327 manuals etc) it was not trivial.

Wiring diagrams are fine if you fully understand which ones apply, which ones dont and more importantly which ones wont ever work because of Navworx unsolved glitches. Still, between some undeserved good luck, dogged perseverance and generous help and patience from TimO, I've got targets flowing on the 232 lines and 3 green on the UAT console, so I'll call that a happy win.

Have yet to start the AMOCC/FSDO dance, and I dont fully understand whats required for success there, so if anyone had done this with the Baltimore FSDO, I'd sure appreciate any words of wisdom, or even, if possible, a copy of your award winning package.....

In the mean time, onward......!
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 AM

Default AMOC/FSDO

Mani,

I didn't do mine with Baltimore - as I am based in DE...worked with PHL.

The requirement states notification - the use is already approved. The goal is to determine what constitutes sufficient notification. I started with a phone call and leaving them a message. They called back shortly thereafter and basically determined that they wanted me to show compliance with the AMOC requirements - to include a photo of the required placard disallowing internal GPS use. I sent that all in an e-mail to them. Got an e-mail response within a few days and a snail letter after that!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the update Randall!