What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filters

AttackPilot64

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience with using the Superior oil filter adapter and using an auto oil filter instead of AV filter. It?s on an IO390. Pros cons thanks in advance

Lots of folks on this forum use auto filters on their lycomings. NAPA Gold seems to be the brand of choice. I thought about using them but for the few dollars saved over the aircraft filter brands decided to just spend a few dollars more and keep extras on hand.

Can someone enlighten me as to a part number or source for the adapter itself? After searching here and the web in general all I come up with is remote oil filter adapters.

Myself and many others use the K&N HP filters. They are shorter so there's more room to the firewall and the handle higher oil pressure. They have the 1" wrench boss with safety wire holes. Work great.

Can someone enlighten me as to a part number or source for the adapter itself? After searching here and the web in general all I come up with is remote oil filter adapters.

You can search Lycoming Oil Filter Adapter on ebay and find what you're looking for. If you want to use auto filters you have to get a male/male pipe to screw into the adapter. I think it's 3/4", 2" total. Any hardware store has them. Put a little locktite red on the adapter side threads so it won't come out while changed the filter.

Myself and many others use the K&N HP filters. They are shorter so there's more room to the firewall and the handle higher oil pressure. They have the 1" wrench boss with safety wire holes. Work great.

I used the K&N also on the advice of Casper labs, who made my adapter. I?m sure you?ve cut them apart also but I was surprised at the size of the element compared to a Champ or Tempest. It?s probably adequate but it left me underwhelmed and I switched back to Tempest.
Tim Andres
Cozy IV sold....looking for the next project.

I used the K&N also on the advice of Casper labs, who made my adapter. I?m sure you?ve cut them apart also but I was surprised at the size of the element compared to a Champ or Tempest. It?s probably adequate but it left me underwhelmed and I switched back to Tempest.
Tim Andres
Cozy IV sold....looking for the next project.

They are smaller than AV filters but considering most of us change the filter between 25 to 50 hours there's plenty of filter media in the K&N. I have opened all my used filters and never found much of anything. It would take quite a bit **** to plug any of them.

Back