What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic electrical questions.

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
I'm preparing to re-wire my RV6A. Previously the landing light and taxi light were wired to one switch ON-OFF-ON so only one light could be on at a time. Any reason I should keep this or can I have two separate switches so I could have both on? Both halogen lights look identical. Is the aim (elevation) of the lights the only difference between a Landing and Taxi light?

Strobe power supplies are mounted at the end of the wings. Is a local ground at each power supply sufficient? Aeroflash drawing doesn't indicate this clearly.

Same question for the electric fuel pump. Local ground ok?

A DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch could be used, wired so that down is only one light and up is both lights.
Fuel pump grounded locally should be OK.
For strobe, it depends on how noisy they are. Grounded locally is probably OK. But if not, discrete wires for positive and negative run as a twisted pair is ideal. For a little extra cost and weight, two wires can be pulled in. Then you have options.

you need to look at how the supply side is working. If both lights are connected to one breaker, it (cb and wire) may not be large enough to run both lights together. You may have to add a cb and separate wire to run both together.

Jay

Separate switches should fine. Will need a fuse for each.
If the strobe supplies are co-located with the lights, a local power ground for the power side should also work okay.

Just a thought Steve

I don?t do a lot of night flying so I installed both as landing lights and wired in a a separate Wig-Wag flasher & switch for collision avoidance. Slow taxi in the dark is still ok using the landing lights. Did this in my last plane also changing out the taxi bulb for a landing bulb and it worked fine.

Back