What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 cover

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I am in the market for a "Canopy cover". Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about different offerings?

Are you looking for a travel cover or a heavy duty tie-down cover? Vans and Cleveland make good compact travel covers, and Bruce's make a good heavy duty cover.

Like Vans Travel Cover

We recently used a Vans lightweight cover during a ten-day trip from Florida to Minnesota, Oshkosh and return. It fits well and is held on by two easily handled straps. A heavy downpour one night tested its watertightness; no leaks observed. Longevity unknown, but otherwise recommended.

I did not have a similar experience with the Van's cover, yes light weight and simple but not water proof, barely water resistant. It keeps the dew off but mine leaked with only a mild rain. Perhaps I should spray some scotch guard on it?

N74846 resumed it well: if you are looking for a canopy cover to protect your plane year around on tie down you need a cover more sturdy than the light cover offered by VANs. I personally use the light canopy cover sold by Vans year around... in my hangar! I also use it on tie down when I am away and find it convenient as bruceflys do. It is not totally waterproof but the canopy should be waterproof enough to that's not a problem for a temporary use outside. The main function of this travel cover is to prevent the plexiglass of the canopy to be scratched by flying debris blown by the wind, propellers or jet engines wash which seems to work well so far after 3 years of use.

That will be pretty much how I will use it too. I ordered the one from Vans.

N74846 resumed it well: if you are looking for a canopy cover to protect your plane year around on tie down you need a cover more sturdy than the light cover offered by VANs. I personally use the light canopy cover sold by Vans year around... in my hangar! I also use it on tie down when I am away and find it convenient as bruceflys do. It is not totally waterproof but the canopy should be waterproof enough to that's not a problem for a temporary use outside. The main function of this travel cover is to prevent the plexiglass of the canopy to be scratched by flying debris blown by the wind, propellers or jet engines wash which seems to work well so far after 3 years of use.

Back