What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Indicated Electric Fuel Pump Pressure with Engine Not Running

jrich

What does your Dynon indicate for fuel pressure with the electric fuel pump on and the engine not running?

With the fuel tank with approx. 1 gal. of fuel, mine shows 1.8 psi.

With the fuel tank full of fuel, mine shows at most 2.2 psi.

My electric pump will pump 1 gal. under 180 secs. However, being wary about vapor lock problems that I've experienced in the past without the electric fuel pump running, I decided to do a pressure test. The Facet catalog shows that the min. press capable with this pump is 3.0 psi and the max. is 4.5 psi. So, I dead headed the pump (i.e. plugged the discharge) and only saw 2.2 psi on the Dynon with 1 gal. of fuel in the tank. If I correct for the sensor height relative to the level of fuel in the tank, I figure the most that the pump was putting out was approx. 2.5 psi. which is about .5 psi less than the min. Many would say, "Ah, but the 0 - 30 psi range sensor is probably not very accurate at the low pressures that we're at." And, you would probably be correct. However, I was dead heading against a mechanical pressure gauge with a 10 psi. range and correcting for its location (overflow tube in fuel tank filler neck), the pump was putting out 2.1 psi. That's an average between the two measuring devices of 2.3 psi. which is .7 psi less than the min. that the pump is supposed to attain. Now, I realize that even 2 psi is approx. four times as much head pressure needed to get fuel to mech. fuel pump and carbs. But, the pump not meeting the min. pressure specification of the catalog bothers me a bit. Thoughts?

Anyone ever perform this pressure test and if so, what were your results?

Like you said, the fuel pressure sensor is not very accurate and the mechanical gauge might not be either unless it has been calibrated. To get an accurate reading, either a calibrated gauge or a manometer is needed. Since you have access to the return flow tube in the tank, connect clear tubing to it and put the other end of the clear tube into a container located 10 feet higher than the fuel level in the tank. Turn on the pump and measure the height of the gasoline column. If I calculated correctly, a gasoline column about 9.3 feet high equals 3 psi.
If the fuel flow is adequate, I would not worry about it.

Both the Dynon D180 and SkyView are used in the RV-12, as well as I believe (3) different fuel pressure sensors over the years. What exactly is your configuration?

Your pressures seem pretty nomal to me, considering all the variables. But if you are going to be worrying about it you might as well just replace the pump. Not that expensive for your peace of mind.

My fuel pressure sensor looks just like a VDO 360-043. So, I'm assuming that is what it is.

Thanks to all who responded.

Back