What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 carburetor floats

JRo

Well Known Member
After a very prolonged waiting period, I finally received 2 pairs of the new "dimpled" floats for the Bing carbs on my Rotax 912 from Lockwood. You know, the ones that are supposed to fix the float problems permanently? Well, I've been flying with the new floats for about 25 hours now. I just had the cowl off for an oil change, so decided to weigh the new floats out of pure curiosity. Well, guess what; they too are absorbing fuel. Each pair weighed 5.5 grams when new, now 1 pair weighs 6.2 grams & the other 6.3 grams. Undoubtedly, they are absorbing fuel. As I recall, 7 grams per pair was the pass/fail weight on leaking floats, so I'm halfway there with the new dimpled floats. Anyone else?

Hi Jro,

5.9 - 6.3 is normal. It isn't a sign of imminent failure. Next 100 hr or annual weigh them again to check.
In the meantime if you have no symptoms then I wouldn't worry. The symptoms for a flooding carbs are: a rough running engine at low rpms that clear up at high rpms, fuel smell and fuel in the vent tubes off the carbs.

p.s.
There should be plenty of new floats out there. I just heard CPS has a whole box of them.

I also had a set of the new floats that I installed before the first engine run. At about 25 hrs I experienced the symptoms SINK mentioned and found one of the floats completely submerged, don't remember the weight. Called Lockwood and the bad float was replaced under warranty.

from the thread starter

OK thanks guys. I feel better. I have no symptoms; she runs like a top even at low RPMs. I will check floats each time I'm under the cowl, just to be on the safe side.

JRo

Back