What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About to pull the trigger

CAVU Mark

Well Known Member
Sept 5, 2015 will go down in my aviation history as the date I acquire the RV grin. An RV-3 (0-320) will be mine. I would like to ask some advice about all things -3 related from checklists, to transition training (I currently own a C-170A), V speeds, your unique flying idiosyncrasies dealing with the -3, maintenance tips, flying tips, best prop, etc, etc. PM if you want.

Thanks.

Mark

Ok, I already have the grin when I taxied her and goosed the throttle it was like a race horse at the gate, the ole 170 doesn't pull like that.

Using VAF

Trigger has been pulled. Sure could use some advice from the experts?

Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm certainly no expert but I bought my first airplane ever, an RV-4 a couple of months ago. I had zero tailwheel time. I did my transition training in an RV-6 which was a requirement for insurance. I had the airplane professionally inspected by Vic Syracuse. He did some work to get the airplane up to standards and then delivered it to me. Since then, I've done all the maintenance and some upgrades on the airplane myself.

VAF has definitely been the best resource for learning about my plane and its systems. Every situation I've encountered has been discussed here in the past and I often found answers just by searching the forum. When I needed more information or some clarification, I post a specific question here and always have my answer in a day or less.

You'll find excellent Operating Handbooks for all the Vans models here. Just do a search. I used several of them to rework the already good one that the builder of my airplane created. Hopefully you got a POH with your airplane that contains some information, especially on critical information like V-speeds.

So, search the forums and, if you don't find your answer, post some specific questions.

Congrats on the new airplane!

Oh, and create a signature showing your basic information. That helps others know what your flying, where your based, etc.

Congrats! We love our 3. Very simple and fun to fly. Performance is awesome with the 320 and metal prop. Climbs like a homesick angel at almost any speed, flies fast or slow, just a delight overall.

Thanks. What metal prop are we talking about. Right now I have three wood props and would like to zero in on one without experimenting. I know that is the reason for buying an experimental aircraft but I would prefer to fly.

RV-3 prop and tips

My RV-3 has a Sensinich 70CMx79 pitch, metal prop. She accelerates like crazy, and climbs great, but this prop (from Vans...it is an RV prop) is rev limited to 2,600. The only problem I have is top end. Since I cant get all 160 horses into it, I top out (rev limited) at about 195 indicated. She should do 210 on 160hp.
I may have mine re-pitched which would wont cost too much, but I really want to get a CATTO prop. He makes really nice composite props for RV's that are good to 3,000 rpm...he really has it down. If you are buying new, tal to Craig Catto and you cant go wrong.

I did transition training in an RV-7, it was required for my insurance qualification. Once I had a few hours of dual time in an RV....nothing left to do but strap into the -3 and leave your inhibitions at the run-up. RV-3s are very well mannered, and tell you when they don't like what you are doing, but its a calm voice, not a scream. The biggest thing for me to get used to was the speed. I did all my primary training in Citabria and Super Decathlon, so the RV effectively killed that for me. Its hard to go back when you get used to the power and speed of an RV. It makes the hamburger run a bit challenging if you have a friend that flys a Luscombe;-)

Happy to email you some specifics about how I fly mine if you want to send me your email. Welcome to the club. You wont regret it.
Cheers
Dave
[email protected]

propeller info

My 1992 RV-3A N633TB was equipped with an O-320 160HP with a beautiful wood Pacesetter prop, 68x69 when I acquired it. The prop is underpitched for the available power, but I prefer that to the other extreme. The low pitch is great for acceleration and climb but it does limit S&L top speed. Not having a crying urge to buy more gas, make more noise, and hurry anywhere anymore, I usually dial back the rpm's to 2150 or so and get about 4 gal/hour at 140mph. I can loop and roll gracefully (imho)without adding power if I want to. If/when I ever replace the prop, I'll think about increasing the pitch a few inches, but in the meantime, I am loving every flight.....&=)
Vern Maine
N633TB
KASH

Back