What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 aerobatics question...

I've been reading this thread with much interest. You guys might have just saved me so to speak. I have been looking for a while now for a 4 but have decided on an 8 for various reasons. I'm 220lbs (for you Yanks) & 6ft so the 4 might be rather limiting in many ways. So a conventional U/C 8 it is:)
Was a great read, thanks to those who know best

I'm curious what that dollar per pound will equate. :p I'm a -4 owner and have found myself slowly filling the cockpit in the past couple years. An -8 model is my goal but until my daughter no longer requires my $, I enjoy the heck out of my -4. You won't go wrong w/the -8.!

Hahah, I was only looking at a 4 due cost but am now thinking at what cost do I accept compromises? 8's are rare down under the place is mainly infected with 6 & 7A's:D Girl trainer planes:D

I've been reading this thread with much interest. You guys might have just saved me so to speak. I have been looking for a while now for a 4 but have decided on an 8 for various reasons. I'm 220lbs (for you Yanks) & 6ft so the 4 might be rather limiting in many ways. So a conventional U/C 8 it is:)
Was a great read, thanks to those who know best

I think you made the right choice. When I was looking for a plane I was debating the -4 vs -8. -4's were much cheaper. But I chose the -8 because:

1. Given that I want to do a little light 2-up acro, the 8 was the better choice.

2. If you fully loaded the -4 with 2 pax and chutes and gas and baggage for an XC, you will exceed the gross weight limit and

3. I wanted a constant speed prop. This is heavier than the wooden props which the -4 was designed for. My inclinations could be done on a -4 but I would be driving it away from it's design point.

4. It was much easier to find a -8 with an O-360 and constant speed prop than it was to find a -4 with an O-320 and CS prop.

I'm very happy with my -8 and I think you will be too.

The first ride in an RV for me was in a -4, flown by the builder who was both ex fighter pilot and aeronautical engineer. He felt linear projections made 4 G limits safe at our weight with two up (I'm only 155#). As to entry speeds my builder's manual (RV-8) lists these: Loops and horizontal eights 140-190 mph; Immelmann turns 150-190 mph; aileron and barrel rolls 120-190 mph; snap rolls 80-110 mph; vertical rolls 180-190 mph; split S 100-110 mph. Maneuvering speed for the -8 is 142 mph and for the -4 134mph. Vine 210 for the -4 and 230 for the -8, so entry speeds for the RV-4 would likely be adjusted. What does the builders manual for the RV-4 say? IIRC Van advised against snap rolls in RV's because he felt RV's were poorly suited for them, tending to wallow at slower entry speeds and risking overstress if entered faster trying to get a crisp entry. Have not done them in my RV-8 but they sure are fun in the Pitts, especially the S-1S.

I think you made the right choice. When I was looking for a plane I was debating the -4 vs -8. -4's were much cheaper. But I chose the -8 because:

1. Given that I want to do a little light 2-up acro, the 8 was the better choice.

2. If you fully loaded the -4 with 2 pax and chutes and gas and baggage for an XC, you will exceed the gross weight limit and

3. I wanted a constant speed prop. This is heavier than the wooden props which the -4 was designed for. My inclinations could be done on a -4 but I would be driving it away from it's design point.

4. It was much easier to find a -8 with an O-360 and constant speed prop than it was to find a -4 with an O-320 and CS prop.

I'm very happy with my -8 and I think you will be too.

Thanks for yr thoughts.
As we all know anything to d with aviation is a compromise, it's just how much one is willing to compromise is where the choice is. As much as I wanted a 4 & after doing some research among these pages I have now left that idea behind & dreaming of double the fun (at twice the cost here, if I find one !)

No substitute...

Thanks for yr thoughts.
As we all know anything to d with aviation is a compromise, it's just how much one is willing to compromise is where the choice is. As much as I wanted a 4 & after doing some research among these pages I have now left that idea behind & dreaming of double the fun (at twice the cost here, if I find one !)

The first RV4 I saw was a photo in an early Kitplanes in a magazine pile in our F16 Pilot lounge in Japan. Back then Vans was a small backyard company in North Plains
In 89" when I ordered my RV4 information kit you couldn't buy an RV4, you had to build it. I was looking for a 180mph Super Cub that could do an occasional roll or loop, get off my 1100" grass strip and carry a bit of camping gear. The Vans info kit stressed the RV4 was a compromise to achieve "total performance."
25 years later my 4 is still flying with over 2000 hours, and an RV6X and HR2 were added. Compromises aside, it's a great little airplane...

V/R
Smokey

Back