What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an RV-7 FAA Documentation Required

Dale007

I'm New Here
I'm considering buying an RV7A and was wondering what documentation I need to look for to verify that the aircraft is legal from an FAA standpoint?

Not sure what "legal" means, but...

1. is the aircraft currently flying and does it have an "N" number.
2. look for the data plate on the structure of the aircraft.
3. Look for the FAA registration paperwork that need to be in the aircraft
4. Look for the FAA airworthiness paperwork in the aircraft
5. look for a weight & balance document in the aircraft
6. be sure all paperwork (items 2-4 above) references the same N number as in #1 above.

You can look on the FAA data base, search on the N number, and see what the FAA knows about the aircraft.

If the aircraft has not been previously registered, search this site for a wealth of information on what is needed.

As others have added, the Operating Limits are required to be in the aircraft. It should specifically call out Phase II. (Once the Phase I is completed, there needs to be a signed entry in the Airframe Logbooks stating the fact, and then the Phase II Op Limits apply. The Op Limits become a formal part of the Airwortheness Certificate, and as such, must be carried in the aircraft.

Last edited:
Just as important

Aare you aircrafts operating limitations. Not legal to fly without them.

Thanks for the quick responses. I checked and this is what I have/know:

1. The plane does have an N number.
2. Data plate on the aircraft.
3. FAA Registration in plane and numbers match.
4. Airworthiness certificate in plane signed by FAA.
5. I have the weight and balance worksheet by the builder.
6. No document on operating limitations. Is that something I can get from VANs for the RV7A?

Operating Limitations (OL)...

must be carried in the aircraft with the registration and AWC and W&B. The OL are issued when the aircraft is inspected and signed off by the FAA Inspector or DAR (at least mine were when I had my Sonex inspected).

Has Phase 1 been flown off? If so, ensure that the appropriate entries are made in the airframe logbook.

Thanks for the quick responses. I checked and this is what I have/know:

1. The plane does have an N number.
2. Data plate on the aircraft.
3. FAA Registration in plane and numbers match.
4. Airworthiness certificate in plane signed by FAA.
5. I have the weight and balance worksheet by the builder.
6. No document on operating limitations. Is that something I can get from VANs for the RV7A?

Operating Limitations were issued with and are a part of the Airworthiness Certificate. The AW certificate is no good without the Op Lims. You may be able to get a new copy of Op Lims from FAA. Otherwise you would need to get an amended Airworthiness Certificate and Op Lims. These can be issued by the FAA or a DAR with function code 33.
972-784-7544

Last edited:
You can request a history of the registration of the aircraft with the FAA for like $5 and they will send you a cd with scans of the registration and operating limitations..

Going through the documentation I have, I did find a document called Experimental Operating Limitations. It was signed by an FAA Aviation Safety Inspector. Is this the missing document?

This Ops Limits doc is probably in the plane... where it belongs. :) There may be several copies, I keep the original locked up.

Back