What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to Install OAT Probe

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
The completed RV-9A I purchased a year ago does not have OAT information being input into the the Dynon D10A. As the OAT information is required for True Airspeed to be calculated by the D10A I plan on installing the Dynon OAT probe (arrived via UPS today....great service by Dynon again).

My question is, "Where should I install the probe to maximize data accuracy while simplifying running the three wires and installing the probe itself"? The EDC-D10A magnetometer is located aft of the bulkhead.

Oat

Ken,
I'm not flying yet, but after much research, I mounted mine directly under the horizontal stabilizer. My EDC is mounted on the rear deck so it was an easy install. If your's is just behind the bulkhead it won't be as easy to put there though not at all impossible.

Another popular location is in an inspection cover on the bottom of one of the wings. Wires could then come in and under the seat pans to behind the bulkhead.

I think it's a toss up. I have conduits under the seat pans so it wouldn't be too difficult there. I've crawled to the back of the fuse with some boards down on the bulkheads to spread the loads out.

Hope that helps.

The OAT probe I'm using from Advanced Flight is a small fin that I mounted on the inboard inspection panel on the left wing. I chose this location because it places the probe away from the prop blast and exhaust air.

Mine is on the cabin air intake scoop.

Its drilled into the plastic scoop and wire are accessible from the inside panel area.

On my -6A, I mounted the Dynon Temp probe on the F-609 bulkhead. It is accessible under the F-694 Empenage Fairing. I mounted the probe with the sensor end pointed aft (into the empenage area), and the wires pointed forward. I found the Dynon probe to be quite large and for me, it somewhat limited the areas where I would place it. The magnetometer box is mounted just aft of the baggage bulkhead, up high, under the aft top skin.

I have an AFS engine monitor that also has an OAT probe. It is much smaller than the Dynon probe, and I ended up mounting the AFS probe in the cabin vent NACA air scoop on the passenger side of the aircraft. The two independent units always read within several degrees of each other.

Mine is on the cabin air intake scoop.
@
Its drilled into the plastic scoop and wire are accessible from the inside panel area.

This position will cause it to read high. Do a search on the topic, it seems to come up every year.

This position will cause it to read high. Do a search on the topic, it seems to come up every year.

Being in the air-scoop will also cause the temp to vary with opening and closing of the vent.

Mine is mounted through the fuselage in front of the wing spar. It is accessable by taking off the wing fairing strip.

The best location for an OAT probe is in the wing inspection panels. They are mostly unaffected by airflow there, unlike the NACA duct which is a very bad location.

I have two OAT that is connected to two different system (one to Garmin and one to GRT). One is mounted to the NACA scoop and one under the wing. They both read the same temp with maximum of 1 F apart. It has been tested on the ground to be accurate and then go flying (though it is hard to know its accuracy) both read the same temp as climbing. My last week trip to MT, the temp was showing to be 34F that I just began to pick up ice on my pitot tube. Hardly any ice was picked up on wing/canopy.

The probe/tip is about the size of a #4 rivet and about 3/8 inch long.

It would be hard for me to believe that the air flow would be greatly reduced or compromised.

Ken,
I'm not flying yet, but after much research, I mounted mine directly under the horizontal stabilizer. My EDC is mounted on the rear deck so it was an easy install. ....
That's where we put ours.... Works great....

The best location for an OAT probe is in the wing inspection panels.

Agree 100% (though I put mine in the wing skin, a couple inches from the inspection panel). Easy to run wire, easy to service, and air isn't affected by engine or anything else.

-Rob

IMG_2558.JPG

Mine is in the left cabin air inlet

Mine is in the left cabin air inlet and it works fine for me (no glass panel requirements). I easily remove it and install flush covers in the inlets for racing.

Bob Axsom

Back