What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who is qualified?

milt1492

Hey everyone, I was wondering who is qualified to fly the phase 1 flight testing? I am new to this, but I have found some references to the FAR/AIM and here is what it said. I'm paraphrasing by the way.

"will be flown by a qualified pilot"

My question is...What qualifications does someone need to be a qualified? Is it PPL, Instrument, and CFI or is it more? Is it less?

Thanks,
Milt

...My question is...What qualifications does someone need to be a qualified? Is it PPL, Instrument, and CFI or is it more? Is it less?

Thanks,
Milt
It isn't a piece of paper, other than to have a private pilot's license or above. It is subjective. It is someone you think is capable!

Call you Insurance agent

Check with your insurance company. I have found that the insurance companies regulate who can fly your plane more then the FAA. Of coarse they can not stop you from having any FAA qualified person fly your plan but they can deny coverage if something goes wrong.

Also, depends on some common sense. Since I had no RV experience, I got a local RV pilot (Brad Ransom) to do my first flights. He also did the stability tests and, when we got that far, the G testing and aerobatics. I was Ok to do the fuel burn, W&B profiling, and rate of climb testing. So, not necessarily a single test pilot. Best man for the job...

I asked Kahuna to do my first flight. Glad I did too. He undoubtedly saved my engine when he shut it down on a high downwind and dead sticked the airplane. Search on the forums here and you'll find the write-up of my first flight.

Was I qualified to fly the airplane? Certainly.
Was he MORE qualified to fly the airplane? No doubt about it.
Was MY first flight in my airplane any less exciting? I don't think so.

Only PPL required.
"Can Fly the plane" is not known and is absolutely not required.

So if you can't fly the plane, have never flown an RV, you should be the first to fly it? I don't think that is a very good idea, but whatever you say you are the big Kahuna. :rolleyes:

The original question was.............

My question is...What qualifications does someone need to be a qualified? Is it PPL, Instrument, and CFI or is it more? Is it less?

Thanks,
Milt

I stand by my answer. If you have a PPL and can fly the plane you are qulaified.

Last edited:
There is "Legally" qualified, and there is "Really" qualified. I agree with those who say that the minimum "Legal" qualifications is a PPL. As to whether or not you have the skill and experience qualifications, well, there is quite a bit of documentation available from the EAA, and a lot of personal help that can be given by EAA Flight Advisors.

Lots can go wrong on first (second, third, fourth...) flights. Surprisingly, most of the things that can go wrong are actually trivial - in hindsight. Aside from basic stick and rudder skills, and experience with checking out in different airplanes, I like to ask people "what kind of emergencies have you dealt with in flight, and how did you react to them?" Over-reacting to an emergency can be as bad (or worse) than under-reacting, or reacting incorrectly.

What do you do when your oil pressure gage goes funny? Or your oil temperature? Or, on that initial take-off, your tach value isn't correct? Abort? Go? think about it....oops! You're out of runway! All of these things could be simple instrumentation, not a real problem - it would be a shame to ruin a great new airplane because you reacted incorrectly.

Let's not be to high and mighty about this - flight testing an RV built to plans with a Lycoming engine is NOT "Experimental Flight Test" - more like "Production Flight test". But....you can get in trouble very quickly if one of th many, many common "funnies" occurs and you don't know how to react to it.

Have you flown an airplane that is drastically out of trim before/ Or has a stability issue? The questions keep coming, and these questions (and your personal answers to them) will eventually help pilots realize if they feel good about your first flight or not. Are you excited in a good way? or dry-mouthed with a bit of worry.....

As I said - there is "Legal" - and there is "Qualified".....I advise everyone - even those pilots with thousands of hours - to talk it over with another experienced pilot before committing to a first flight. Sometimes, we all need an outside, dispassionate opinion to help us see the big picture.

Paul

Back