What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluctuating fuel level showing on stock vans gauges

jrm7997

The other day I went on a flight and about ten minutes in I noticed the smell of fuel. Enough to get me watching fuel levels and pressure. I noticed the left tank loosing fuel even though I was burning from the right tank.

I turned back towards the airport and watched the left tank fuel level rise and fall. Eventually it pegged to show a full tank. I didn't smell anymore fuel.

At the hanger I measured the fuel Level and it hadn't changed from what I measured during my pre flight. The fuel gauge rose to full fuel each time I cycled the power. The fuel gauges are vans.

I've done some research and I'm leaning towards the problem being a grounding issue. Also interested in finding out if anyone has had a similar problem. Most of my research brings up fuel pressure problems and I, e had that to but fixed the problem

Thanks in advance.

Mine started going from very low readings to 30+ gallons! (21 gallon tanks). In addition, my red cube flow transducer varies from normal 7.6 to crazy 63+ gal/hr readings and my fuel pressure is showing various readings from 30 ish to 48 ish. I know none of the readings are true based on manual checks of the levels in the tanks, reminds me when my Cessna didn't have indicators and we flew by the clock.

Anyway, I've checked all the wires during normal cowl off inspections/oil changes and can't find the problem. The systems always seem to work during these inspections, most of the time. I'm thinking its a bad ground or a bad pin in the back of the EIS? Going into annual next week and digging deep.

Everything else is flawless, only these fuel reading related issues.

Ideas?

Back