What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Borrowed N Number

Wesael

Well Known Member
How often do you see someone using your N number on flightaware?

Is this some thing to be concerned about?

I fully understand that it can happen as a typo but just looking to see how often it happens to you.

I agree with Turbo...never. Something's not right. I have noticed old "N-numbers" appearing. This is when the number has been re-assigned and the "new" aircraft has not yet flown in the "system." When I checked the date of the "old" flight, it was sometimes as old as 11 years.

Someone on this forum flies an RV-7, but apparently in September of 2000, he was flying a PC-12 with the same N-number.

P.S In light of Randy's and John's posts below, I see how it could happen. So even though I have never had their experiences, I see how it could happen.

Last edited:
I've used my airplane N-number on occasion for a preflight-briefing for our hot air balloon (because I can never remember the balloon N-number since it only flies a couple times a year) but I've never seen someone use another aircrafts N-number for ATC communications. I would call that a form of identity theft and report it - they will come back on you for any shenanigans that occur.

air balloon?

Greg, you have an air balloon? wow, that is pretty cool.
As for the flight watch, I agree with the other posters - nobody should be using your number to report flights for following. I would contact the web site and see what is going on. It could be a simple typing error, but might as well check into it.

FlightAware like Television...Sort of !

Do people just 'watch' Flightaware, like television??

If you have a particular airplane you're interested in, like a plane you once owned, or one that belongs to a friend, or even your own airplane, FlightAware can be configured to send you an email when that N-Number files a flight plan, departs the originating airport and then arrives at destination.

I think that feature is only available for "members;" I also think membership is still free.

Use of FlightAware is how some newspaper reporter discovered that a certain Auburn University Board Member's airplane was being flown to Louisville Kentucky and back one evening at the end of a particular football season. It didn't take a rocket scientist to assume Auburn was trying to recruit a new football coach who just happened to be the former Defensive Coordinator at Auburn. (Of course, now we know he is a terrible motorcycle driver even though his 2011 team went 11-2 in the SEC. :eek: )

Yep, I've seen it.

Our corporate King Air number would occasionally show up as a Cherokee in west Texas.

A few months ago I received a phone call about the aircraft leaving without paying it's "avgas" bill. I replied, "100 octane". They said yes. I explained that I sometimes see our N-number being used by another aircraft in Texas and if they looked at our registration it would show a King Air which doesn't use avgas.

I haven't seen it on the tracker lately.

I have had my N number come up on Flight Aware a couple of times. Twice it was a C-206 which had the same last three numbers/letter as my whole N number (18U). By looking at the route, it was clearly a "pop up" IFR clearance and the controller probably just used the last 3 of the Cessna's N number. No harm no foul.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back