What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's a mid time io 360 B1B with or without mid time accessories worth?

Vansrv7arob

Well Known Member
I found a mid time IO360 B1B just pulled has a weldable?? crack in the lower part of the block near the starter motor discovered at last 100hourly.

The engine is an IO-360-B1B, straight valve 180hp compression ratio 8.50:1

The engine was bought new 15-20 years ago has had regular charter hours and last bulk stripped in 2006 it has 1000hrs remaining, compressions are good and it has flown 300hrs in the last year.

Anyone with knowledge of buying used engines or engine repair care to put a price range on it both with and without servicable accessories, Come on have a punt! What would be a reasonable offer knowing its got to be stripped and welded and possible risk of other surprises.

Am I wasteing my time thinking about it for a rv7?

Core price

I would value it as a core with a crack, if you are going to disassemble it for welding , send the crank and cam out and zero time the bottom end. Cylinders , I would have a hard time putting them on "as is " . With mags, carb or injection I would say $4500 to $ 5000 if no AD on the crank.

Not enough info

You mention the engine is 15-20 years old and has flown about 300 hrs per year in the last 3-4 years. Does this mean it is a 6,000 hour total time engine? What is the total time and how many times has it been overhauled?

I probably wouldn't start with an engine that has a known cracked case. Do you know for certain that the crack can be repaired?

I wouldn't give more than $2,500 for it unless the seller would guarantee the case and crank. I'm going the used engine route but I'm starting with a low total time engine and crossing my fingers.

Keep in mind that if the case and crank are bad you mostly have a pile of junk.

Agree I'm waiting on more info

Thanks Robert,
Engine last bulk stripped/rebuild in 2006 so it's TT is approx 3000hrs, 300hrs in last year so that leaves approx 100hrs/year since last rebuild it's 1st in 2006.
Agree no guarentee on crank and case repair, however a engineer has looked at it and his opinion from the out side and from location of crack is that it could be welded, you would never know the full story until it comes apart to be welded or replaced.

I was hoping to have some photos today none have come through so far.

Does anyone else have any comments on possible value or further questions I should ask vendor?

I think at $2500 it could be great value if crank was good, case could be welded and pistons jugs and cam were serviceable.

Does anyone have any opinions on what may cause the development of a crack in the lower part of the block near the starter motor on a io 360 B1B? Has anyone seen this or similar experience before?
Has anyone had experience with having cases welded?

Case

I sent an 0320 case out for general yellow tag
Divco told me its common to have some cracks that
Need to be repaired. I believe the 0320 and 0360 case is
The same. The crank journals and mains can in most cases be
Ground as long as they are not at max. 5k sounds about right

Back