What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairmen Certificate

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
I am considering buying a RV-7A project and would like to know at what point it is no longer possible to qualify for a Repairmen Certificate or do I have to buy a brand new kit ?

Bob Collins

You will need to be listed as a primary builder and...

You will need to convince the FAA that you have completed enough of the aircraft to be familiar enough to competently accomplish the condition inspection.
The FAA is generally pretty lenient on this.

you need a picture of some of the parts with you standing in the middle of them.

That's about all the FSDO guy wanted.

And some assurance from you that you built/assembled it.

you need a picture of some of the parts with you standing in the middle of them.

Not necessarily true. I had only one or two pictures of myself in them. I know several builders that have 0 photos of their construction.

The key is being able to convince the FSDO that you know enough to do the maintenance on it.

As Mel said, "the FAA is generally pretty lenient" on this issue.
My FSDO didn't want to see my builder's log or interview me at all prior to receiving my Repairman Certificate.

...and mine wanted to come out and see (and inspect) the airplane. Seems like this is one of the more subjective areas for the FAA, and that's saying a lot.

-Rob

I had the local FSDO do the inspection on my completed plane (cost = $0, other than my tax dollars), so it was very clear to him over the course of our discussion that I had done the work and was at least marginally competent. The repairman's certificate was not a question. Could be a bit different if you had a DAR inspect the plane and then ask the FSDO for the certificate.

greg

I had the local FSDO do the inspection on my completed plane (cost = $0, other than my tax dollars), so it was very clear to him over the course of our discussion that I had done the work and was at least marginally competent. The repairman's certificate was not a question. Could be a bit different if you had a DAR inspect the plane and then ask the FSDO for the certificate.

greg

Hi Greg,
You were very fortunate to have the FSDO come out & do your AW. I scheduled mine with the Tampa FSDO months in advance, but they really had no interest. They told me they were: "Understaffed & Overworked". Seems to me if I were an employee for the FAA, I would be excited about going into the field to do some inspection work relating to the grass roots of aviation.
But, that's me.:D

Several years ago, I began writing a letter of recommendation to the FAA confirming that the applicant had satisfactorily shown eligibility for the repairman certificate. So far it has been accepted by all FSDOs encountered.

Not really

...., I would be excited about going into the field to do some inspection work relating to the grass roots of aviation.
But, that's me.:D

Dan, in my business, I deal with them routinely. Problem is, they're not really "airplane guys"...most don't even fly...to them, it's just a job.

I'm at the airport seven days a week and I can look through my office windows at my airplanes because I love them:)

The Feds go to the golf course.

Best,

I believe the idea of quickbuild kit is to take the build right up to the point of meeting the spirit of the 51% requirement, so if you want to be safe with regards to the most strict interpretations, you'd probably start by looking for a project that's fairly close to quickbuild stage, plus or minus.

That being said, *most* of the things that get inspected by a DAR are the things you will do in the last 10-20% of the build with engine, electrical, fuel lines, nuts, bolts, etc. If you do all that stuff, you will be able to talk intelligently to the DAR about your airplane, and you will be off to a good start in your a&p role.

I believe the idea of quickbuild kit is to take the build right up to the point of meeting the spirit of the 51% requirement, so if you want to be safe with regards to the most strict interpretations, you'd probably start by looking for a project that's fairly close to quickbuild stage, plus or minus. .

Just avoid confusion, the "51% Rule" has nothing whatsoever to do with the Repairman's certificate - it is what makes the airplane eligible or not eligible for Amateur-built status. There is no set percentage that a person has to build to get the repairman's certificate - has been stated above, it is pretty much up to the FSDO inspector's discretion.

That letter from Mel really makes the FSDO's job easy - they can approve you and blame Mel if anything bad happens down the line....:rolleyes:

Paul

"has been stated above, it is pretty much up to the FSDO inspector's discretion"

I had a letter from the DAR that inspected my airplane like the one Mel does, but the FSDO still required that I come in personally for a chat.

When I completed my -7, I contacted my local (Seattle) FSDO to inquire about obtaining my Repairman Cert. Over the phone, I was told that an inspector from the FSDO would want to come to my hangar to inspect the plane and interview me. After sending in the Application for Repairman Cert, I was contacted by the same person I had spoken to before, and told that he would approve my application with no visit or interview. His decision was based on the fact that I had already built another AB and had the Repairman Cert for that plane.

think there are a couple pieces to this

As far as the FAA side.... don't sweat it too much, unless you are looking at a "just finish this one thing and you can get it inspected" situation. You can get a partially completed Quick Build kit and still get was approved.

The more important things are along the lines of being honest with yourself:
1.) did you get an Education while you were building it?
2.) do you know what to look for as to "right" or "wrong" (and understand at least some of the reasons(technical) why ?
3.) Willing to use a "check list" for your work, including mentally fit to work?
4.) Can you recognize and act appropriately when it is beyond your expertise?

Cruising around this forum, poking around the safety related posts and WWWTP, reading some solid reference books will go a long ways to helping you with them.

(p.s. if you are looking at a "almost complete" airplane,.. I would strongly suggest reading the info from Vans on buying a project,... AND getting an experienced RV builder to take a look at it. SOMETIMES people face reality and decide they aren't going to fly that thing.... but don't have a problem trying to sell it to someone that doesn't know what they are buying)

FSDO Education

The "duty" inspector at my FSDO had no earthly idea how to issue a repairman certificate when I walked in (with an appointment) and handed him all my logs and paperwork.

I spent 3 hours with him looking through his manual finding all the rules he had to follow. He never once looked at my logs or photos as he was just wanting to be sure he filed the forms correctly. I didn't care as long as I received my certificate. Two weeks later his boss drives 3 hours from his office to my house to re-do the paperwork and hand me the "real" certificate because the guy I worked with forgot to sign his name when he sent the package to FAA HQ :) They were all super good guys and totally willing to make it work- just required patience and a LOT of help.

Not all FSDOs are created equally. Cincinnati FSDO was willing to drive two hours each way to inspect my airplanes and came with the repairman certificate applications pre-filled. They are coming for Wayne G's 10 with ten day notification!

Repairman Certificate issued today

I made an appointment with Allentown FSDO last week and today two aviation safety inspectors visited my hangar. They asked me to remove top cowling and then went through paperwork my application was already printed by them. They asked who did my AW inspection and then checked my build logs, operating limitations and registration. The point of very interest was pictures of me actually building different components. Inspectors ABSOLUTELY knew what to check. Without detailed build logs I would not pass.

It was very good experience. They answered several specific questions. Now I know when I might be ramp checked :D If anybody in the area need the contacts I have their cards.

My experience

The airplane was inspected by a DAR and he took care of everything with the airplane. I made an appointment with the FAA office in Long Beach and brought my build log and the photo album where everything was also documented with a log correlating date on the back of each photo. EVERYBODY in the office went through the log and album and they asked relevant questions. It was a good experience and I felt good that they took the proper interest.

If you have to finish the airplane and there is some of all of the types work left that goes into building an airplane you should be able to get a Repairman Certificate.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
When I got My Repairman's Certificate

at the FSDO I brought in a book of photos and long detailed 'day by day' builder's log. FAA guy didn't look at them much. Asked me did I already have a Repairman's Certificate from an earlier plane I built and with a 'yes' and produce the card he left to fill out the paperwork. OK by me, I know I built the airplane, but I'm unsure what the standard is. Course, maybe I just looked like I could repair my own airplane, sort of an " intrepid repairman" ?!?
Bill RV-8A, Zenith 601XLB sold

Feds going to the golf course

Dan, in my business, I deal with them routinely. Problem is, they're not really "airplane guys"...most don't even fly...to them, it's just a job.

I'm at the airport seven days a week and I can look through my office windows at my airplanes because I love them:)

The Feds go to the golf course.

Best,

Pierre: you are correct Feds go to the golf course to complete the report after you land thinking its a farmer's field. I need a ag ramp bigboy ( A happy aircraft is a Grounded Aircraft :):eek:

No harm meant.

Apologies, Steve....for painting with a rather broad brush!

For the record, Steve's one of the good guys....EAA'er and RV builder.

Sorry old buddy,

Best,

Repairmans Certificate

The ATL FSDO is top notch especially the inspector who shall remain nameless. I will just say he has built an RV-6A and is currently flying the RV-7 he built. he even took the time about a month prior to my moving my RV7 to the airport to visit my project and share his thoughts on what to still do & avoid missing anything. The final inspection along with repairman approvel came off without a problem.
I am currently flying off the last 10 hours prior to SNF.:p

Back